In this blog post, we will go through the process of setting up a video surveillance system for your home, based around our macOS CCTV software SecuritySpy. When setting up a home CCTV system, cost is an important consideration, but we also want to choose high-quality hardware that is easy to install and set up. To this end, our example system will comprise the following components:
Cameras: we have chosen to use Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW cameras for the following reasons:
- Physically quite small and unobtrusive.
- Easy plug-and-play setup (no manual IP/network setup required).
- High resolution (5 MP), night vision, and good codec support (H.265 and AAC).
- A built-in microphone – essential for a camera covering an entrance.
- Great value – under US$70.