Skip to content

new SV3c camera and 2-way audio

Hello!

I just picked up a new SD5POE-5MP-HX camera. I could only get it working using one of the auto profiles, but none of them support 2-way audio. Digging into the camera it looks like it is using G711, which from previous posts is supported as that is what Amcrest uses?

Is there a way to modify profiles to combine all of the working bits together?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Sorry but at this time, two-way audio is supported only for Axis, Amcrest, Dahua and Hikvision cameras. We have been working on a universal ONVIF implementation of this, but have hit some problems that mean this isn't working well enough for general release. I hope that we will be able to get the ONVIF implementation working at some point in the near future, at which point it is likely that two-way audio will work in any ONVIF compliant camera that supports two-way audio.

• Thanks for the update Ben! Looking forward to it.

• Hi Ben-

I hope you're making progress on universal two way audio implementation for SS. Until now, many of the existing cameras, just haven't had robust enough speakers… Seems to be changing now, Reolink, others too, have a number of cameras that include a very nice speaker, for IP cameras anyway. I would like to swap out some of my cameras, for two way audio units… and also just replace older 3MP units… I'm looking to get an M1 Mini finally… I think the M2 is just gonna be too far away… And I probably don't need that many surveillance cameras in my life, 😉

Thanks!

Be well!

Jay

I really like the AI in the browser, hope to see it soon in the app.

• I'd like to be able to have motion trigger sound on several of my SV3C cams.

Is the ability to play sound through the camera limited to the same group of cameras that can use 2-way audio?

If so, can we get an update on your progress in getting this to work on the SV3C cams?

Thanks!

• Hi @jay - we are still hoping to be able to add this functionality, as I'm sure it will be useful for a good number of users, though I can't give you an expected date I'm afraid.

Thanks for your feedback about the AI search via web browser, good to hear that this is useful for you. This functionality is now in also in the iOS app - just make sure you're running the latest versions of SecuritySpy on both your iOS device and your Mac, and you will then be able to filter captured footage by AI type (humans, vehicles, animals).

@Sawmill - currently, audio alarms can only play back via the Mac's audio output, not a camera's audio output. Having an audio alarm play via a camera's speaker is already something we'd like to add in the future, though I can't make any promises at this time.

• @Sawmill There's this thread on your request as well - https://bensoftware.com/forum/discussion/3387/feature-wish-play-sound-action-via-camera-device-audio-path#latest - I understand why it's taking a while for a universal model - audio (and video) are never "easy"

• @Ben, @jtodd Thanks.

Once I understood that the alert sound plays through the computer, I set it up in a very useful way.

Four of my cams are looking in areas where nobody should ever be once the workers are gone for the day.

With a USB speaker connected to the remote Mac Mini, I will receive an audio alert if human motion is detected in any of those areas.

The speaker is close enough to where I sleep that SS is now effectively an alarm system for me, as well as a security cam system, which is pretty cool.

If I get an audio alert, I will also get an email I can check, with a few pictures of whoever was there.

• Good to hear you have managed to set this up as you want it @Sawmill - this sounds like a great solution.

• It is amazing how quickly my English Labrador learned which sounds, i.e. rising siren, was responsible for triggering the alert for a given area of the home. It infamously carries Pavlov's name, but I don't think he had to work too hard at this experiment. It's one of the great features of Security Spy. Jay.

• @sawmill You can also extend your mini's speakers via inexpensive Apple Airport audio via AirPlay. You can get older AirPort Express units that support AirPlay for under $10 USD and attach a powered speaker to it.