How many HD or UHD cams @ 30fps on 2012 i7 Mac Mini?
  • How many cameras can a 2012, i7, Mac Mini, quad core, 16GB ram, support? Assume that each cam is running at 30fps and that that 1080p streams are h.264 and the 4K streams are h.265.

I'd like to have as many as 8 cameras at some point. I think many NVRs commonly handle this type of a load. I'm still wrapping my head around all of the SS benefits over an NVR.

Thanks,

Robert
  • Hi Robert,

Please see our SecuritySpy System Requirements Calculator which tells you what Mac hardware you need for a particular system configuration.

30fps is unnecessarily high for video surveillance, I would suggest 10fps instead. This will significantly cut down your hardware requirements.

Note that 4K streams are 4x higher resolution than 1080p streams, so they come with an associated large increase in resource usage.
  • Ben, it seems like it doesn't take many cameras at 1080P and beyond to overwhelm a moderate Mac.... It seems that the cheapest dedicated NVRs can handle more cameras and more than a few can handle 4K.... perhaps the future is to have a hardware NVR with SS running in tandem....? I have a vintage (2006, 1,1) Mac Pro, would that run SS better than a 2012 Quad-core Mac mini? The MP does not run the latest OS--it's limited to Lion as I recall.

Thanks,

Robert
  • Hi Robert,

Part of the problem is that the Mac mini, which is an ideal server for SecuritySpy, hasn't been updated in a long time, and is seriously under-powered. We're hoping that Apple will see sense and upgrade this product line in the near future!

I would say a 2012 Quad-core Mac mini would be preferable to a 2006 Mac Pro. Partly because, like you say, the Pro is limited to macOS 10.7 but also because the mini has several other advantages: smaller, lower power, and some H.264 hardware processing capabilities. As for performance, according to Geekbench results, a 4-core 2.6 GHz 2012 Mac mini is approximately as powerful as an 8-core 3 GHz 2006 Mac Pro.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!