Skip to content

Disable UPnP and viewcam.me DDNS

edited January 25 in SecuritySpy

I currently have SecuritySpy's viewcam.me DDNS enabled, including the UPnP automatic port forwarding option on the Web Settings page.

I've been testing Tailscale VPN and it works wonderfully. I would like to better secure my network and move away from viewcam.me, disable UPnP on my router, and remove any UPnP port forwarding rules created by SS. What's the proper way to do this?

I tried to clear the DDNS name and unchecked the automatic port forwarding options on the Web Settings page. However after 48 hours the UPnP port forwarding rule created by SS was still active and [myName].viewcam.me still pointed at my router’s login page.

I then tried disabling UPnP on my router (Unifi Dream Machine Pro) which disabled the port forwarding rule, but I was no longer able to connect to the SS web server remotely over LAN or WAN. The web server remained accessible locally with a browser on the MacMini hosting SS.

In an attempt to restore access after disabling UPnP I created a firewall rule allowing access to the SS web server port without luck. Reversing the steps did not restore remote access. I ultimately had to restore my router’s settings from backup to get things working again, but I’m back at square one with Automatic Port Forwarding and DDNS enabled through SS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• You can turn UPnP off in the router, and also turn off the "Automatic port forwarding" options in SecuritySpy under Settings > Web. This will prevent SecuritySpy trying to make itself accessible from WAN. If you saw this route persist after doing this, this was probably just the router remembering the old entry, and normally a reboot of the router will clear this.

As for DDNS, clearing the DDNS name under Settings > Web will stop SecuritySpy from updating this with your WAN IP address. However, if your WAN IP address remains the same, this DDNS domain will still point to you for around 30 days before the system automatically deletes it due to lack of use. So if you simply leave this alone for a while, it will disappear.

Access to SecuritySpy from within the LAN does not require UPnP or DDNS. Simply use the Bonjour URL (the one containing ".local") that you will see when you click the "How Do I Access This Server" button in SecuritySpy under Settings > Web.