Skip to content

Web server stopped responding

Hi Ben, I recently migrated to a new mac, and I'm having a problem that I can't seem to find what is causing this.

Today, the SecuritySpy web server stopped responding.

Launching the iPhone app, or web browser would result in a time out.

I also use the camera feeds in Indigo, and these would also time out.

SecuritySpy did not crash, and activity viewer didn't show any abnormal resources being eaten. The log file does not show any abnormal errors, and the web log file had it's latest entry this morning, after which communication to the SecuritySpy webserver froze.

I also have Indigo on this machine, and I could access Indigo with no problem (apart from Indigo telling me the camera feeds timed out).

This is not related to external access either, because at home when trying the internal IP number, it would also time-out...

I don't see anything crash related in console.. so I'm a bit stumped.

In the end, all I did to get it responding again was uncheck both 'Enable web server' checkmarks and apply preferences, and then re-enable both checkboxes and apply preferences, and this seemed to have solved this issue.

The thing is, last week I had a similar problem with Indigo. None of my other network components seem to be causing this, this must be something with this mac.

I do have "Wake for network access" checked and "Prevent mac from sleeping.."

Have you ever heard of a mac that becomes unresponsive on certain port numbers for some reason (when SecuritySpy did not respond, Indigo did respond, so network access was working...)

This has me worried, my previous mac mini had been running perfectly for 10 years without ever needing a restart, and never a problem... since I moved to my 2019 Mac Pro, this is the second problem in less than a week...

Comments

• This isn't really something we come across very often, so unfortunately it's not a known problem with a known solution. Here are some things I would suggest:

• Make sure your Mac Pro is running the latest version of macOS and the latest version of SecuritySpy
    • Make sure no other server application on this machine is using the same ports that SecuritySpy uses (8000 and 8001)
    • How is the Mac connected to your network? Ideally this should be with an Ethernet cable into a Gigabit Ethernet switch
    • If your Mac is connected by both Ethernet and WiFi to the same network, try turning WiFi off so that it is Ethernet only

Let me know how you get on.

• Thanks for the tips. It is indeed a strange problem.

I have updated both SecuritySpy and macos to the latest versions now. I was a version behind.

I'll keep an eye on this...

• It happened again yesterday.

Macos and SecuritySpy are on the latest version. No other software is using port 8000 or 8001(that I am aware of). The Mac Pro is connected to a 10GBe switch, wired, wifi is turned off...

Console does not log any crash reports, and SecuritySpy neither... it seems to run smoothly when this happens. It's just that the SecuritySpy webserver is not responding when this happens. Disabling and re-enabling the SecuritySpy webserver seems to wake it up, but I can't find any sort of error anywhere... How would I go about troubleshooting this issue ?

It does sound like some software is seizing ports 8000 and 8001, but how can I tell ? Is there any port-monitoring software that I can use to verify ?

• Very strange. Try this Terminal command:

netstat -anvp tcp | awk 'NR<3 || /LISTEN/'

This will list all open ports on your Mac that are listening for incoming connections. Each entry shows a "pid" which is a process ID that you can correspond to a running application using either Activity Monitor, or this simple Terminal command

ps x

where x is the process ID number.

When this problem happens it would be interesting to see whether this output shows the ports active or inactive, and which application is associated with the ports.

• edited July 8

We're having the same problem on our new Mac Studio. Remote access encounters problems after 2 - 10 days since last reboot. Sometimes remote access comes/goes (E.g., an ATV that does nothing but display a matrix of 16 cameras will see them all show disconnected for a few minutes and then they'll be back for a few seconds, lather, rinse, repeat). Sometimes it's gone completely.

SS itself does seem to be functioning normally.

SS is the only thing running on this machine.

Some info:

-------------------------------------

Translated Report (Full Report Below)

-------------------------------------

Process:        SecuritySpy [20452]

Path:         /Applications/SecuritySpy.app/Contents/MacOS/SecuritySpy

Identifier:      com.bensoftware.SecuritySpy

Version:        5.4.3 (5.0)

Code Type:       ARM-64 (Native)

Parent Process:    launchd [1]

User ID:        501

Date/Time:       2022-07-08 01:46:52.0633 -0500

OS Version:      macOS 12.4 (21F79)

Report Version:    12

Time Awake Since Boot: 930000 seconds

Time Since Wake:    227821 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:    0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:    EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes:    KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000585a6a231b1c

Exception Codes:    0x0000000000000001, 0x0000585a6a231b1c

Exception Note:    EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason:  Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11

Terminating Process:  exc handler [20452]

• I don't believe I rebooted after yesterday's web server outage and yet it seems to have stabilized after a couple of hours and I believe has been available since.

• Hi @QFive this sounds like it could be a different problem - so that we can help you with this, please email us and supply a debug file (SecuritySpy menu > Debug > Create Debug File On Desktop), and please supply the full version of that log that you partially pasted above. Thanks.

• Hi Ben, many thanks for the terminal command. Just what I was looking for.

If something comes up, I'll come back to this post.

• On it's way.