Skip to content

Backup Cloud destination

In reference to this post https://bensoftware.com/blog/offsite-backup-of-recorded-camera-footage/

I have a default destination for continuous capture which is a local drive. I thought it would be great to have a backup offsite destination which could be almost any cloud drive eg. iCloud. This would only be as a backup for either motion detection video capture or images.

is there a clever way to add this as a second destination for a backup so that the primary continuous capture is retained on local storage.

Comments

• Whichever way you configure the upload (either via a cloud service, or via a FTP/S3 upload), the files are still always saved locally. The upload is a secondary, independent function.

It sounds like you want to capture continuous-capture files locally only, but you want to capture and upload the motion-capture files, is this correct? To achieve this, you have two options:

• Use the option to upload files by FTP/S3. With this option, you can set motion-capture files only to upload, via the settings at Preferences > Cameras > Motion Capture.
    • If, instead, you want to use a cloud service like Dropbox or iCloud, then this is a bit more tricky because these services work by automatically uploading all files saved to specific locations on your local file system, and SecuritySpy will save ALL files for a particular camera to the same location, so it is more difficult to split up motion-capture files vs. continuous-capture files. A workaround here would be to add the camera twice to SecuritySpy: the first instance to record motion-capture files, saving to a location that will be picked up and uploaded by the cloud service; the second instance to record continuous-capture files, to a different location where they will not be uploaded.
  • Thanks Ben, its definitely the latter.

Have an idea. Can't I run an ftp server on the Mac itself and add the cloud drive folder to that server. The cloud drive then shows up as a ftp server destination ?

Then I direction motion detection to upload to that ftp server

• What you are describing is better done as a copy operation rather than an upload operation - see the "Local Copy" section under the uploads section of the manual. So the idea is that you use this to copy the motion-capture files to a folder where iCloud will then upload them. This will work fine, though it does involve duplicating all the motion-capture files.

• edited June 1

Ahh didn't know the 'local' option. Cool that should do it. Have hazel so I am sure I can manage the duplicates as well as the historical quantity I want to maintain in iCloud

Such an easy way to have offsite backup using existing resources.

Brilliant Ben!