Skip to content

Browser View and Timeline

Hi

I currently have a Blue Iris system running on Windows 10, but I am evaluating SS to see if it makes sense to switch. I have a lot of Apple devices and using a M1 Mac mini with its low power usage is attractive.

I have set up my cameras fine, but I am struggling to understand the browser view. My requirements are for continuous recording, but then flagging motion (confirmed by AI) on the timeline. What settings should I use for this?

My current settings are [Triggers] Motion detection on, 50% sensitivity, all the AI options at 50%, and the Movie Search metadata options checked. In [Continuous Capture] movie capture is checked, and in [Motion Capture] Movie Capture is also checked, with One Movie per event.

On Blue Iris I would simply click on the timeline to start viewing, and then click next to jump to the next motion event on the timeline. If there was something of interest, I would set a start and end flag and then export that part from the timeline.

What is the workflow for SS? On SS no events are shown on the timeline - I just have a long continuous bar? How do I export the correct part from the timeline?

There is an events list, but it doesn't show on the timeline, and if I filter for Humans for example, I get multiple events for the same person (for example 5 Human events on the list for one person walking by), and I can't work out how to export the video around that event anyway?

Thanks

Comments

• If you want to see only motion-captured movies in the timeline, then you can select the "Motion Capture Movies" option in the menu at the top of the Browser window. This is most like what you are describing, with the timeline showing only those periods where movies were captured in response to motion. You can then press play to play them all in sequence (the Browser will automatically jump from one to the next) or you can click on a file in the File list on the left and use the down/up arrow keys on the keyboard to manually jump from one file to the next.

Instead, when you search for events, then the table on the left displays motion-detection/object-detection events rather than files, and all available video is shown in the timeline (so in your case, the timeline will be full of video since you are also doing continuous capture). These events are each time an object (e.g. human) was detected, which, as you say, can be multiple detections per movie file.

• That sounds good, but it is not the behaviour I am seeing.

If I select "Motion Capture Movies" then the table on the left does just display the motion events, but the timeline is still solid.

Playing the timeline does not jump the next event either. For example, the table shows I have a Motion Capture Movie event at 16:37:17 and another one at 16:45:46. If I select the 16:37:17 event and play from there it plays forever and doesn't skip to the 16:45:46 event.

Under [Motion Capture] pre-capture is 0 and post-capture is 15.

Thanks

• OK, after a bit more testing, in Browser if I do not hit rescan then red lines appear in the timeline instead of a solid line at the correct point, and the files show up in the file table on the left.

However I cannot play these movies as the cameras show "no video".

If I hit rescan the red lines vanish and are replaced with a solid bar again, and the situation is as per my previous post.

• Just to follow up on this, we have made some improvements in the Browser in the new SecuritySpy v5.4.2 release (available from the SecuritySpy download page). Now, when you select a file filter (e.g. "Motion Capture Movies"), then only those movies will be displayed in the file list AND the timeline. So the behaviour should now be more consistent with what you were expecting to see.

If you see any red items in the timeline, these are files that have been recorded since the last scan, so they won't yet appear in the Browser. Simply do a rescan to include these in the playback.