Skip to content

Feature request: PTZ on full-screen zoomed camera focus

edited April 2021 in SecuritySpy
Feature request: If I'm looking at a contact sheet/full-screen view of all the thumbnails of various cameras, and I double-click on a camera to make it full-screen, it would be ideal to have the PTZ shortcuts work in this view.

Comments

• Thanks for the suggestion, we'll make sure to add this.
  • Update on this: it would also be useful to be able to use the pan/zoom/numeric keys if my mouse is hovering over a grid item in the "full screen view" as I find myself often trying to follow something from camera-to-camera.
  • This would still be a nice feature, especially with the new grid views that allow larger live thumbnails. When I enlarge a camera, having it respond to numeric pre-sets for PTZ would be ideal. Also just hovering my mouse over a particular item in a grid view and having it respond to +/- and PTZ commands would be fantastic so I don't have to shift my focus and can keep an eye on all other views while operating on a particularly interesting camera.

• Sorry for the delay in adding this functionality, it's still on our "to do" list but just hasn't been very high priority due to lack of similar feedback from other users. But I do still think this would be a good feature to add. We'll try to get this done in a near-future release.

• Hi @jtodd this has now been implemented in the latest SecuritySpy release (5.5.2). In full screen mode, simply click on any camera (our double-click to expand it), and then you can use the keyboard shortcuts (arrow keys, +/- keys, numerical keypad) to control the PTZ. Please report back and confirm this works as expected.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but you can also shift-click on a camera's video image to control its pan/tilt: the further from the centre you click, the faster it moves in that direction.

• Excellent! Tested and working.

The movement changes are a bit "laggy" as compared to when the camera is in full-screen mode, but it works. I'm guessing that frame rates with the other cameras displayed on the screen is causing the slowdown. If I double-click into full-screen view of a camera, the frame rate jumps and the panning or pre-set responses are much, much faster - this is probably a local issue with the system here. In any case, this works well - thanks for the feature implementation.

• Great!

From what you describe, I expect you're right that the display frame rates are taking a bit of a hit in full screen mode if you have a lot of cameras displaying at the same time. You could check this by turning on both frame rate options at Preferences > Display > Show camera information > Customise. You will then see two frame rate numbers on top of each camera's video display: the first is the incoming frame rate and the second is the display frame rate; if the second number is significantly lower than the first, this indicates that the GPU can't keep up and some frames are getting dropped for the live display.

• Yes, I always have frame rates displayed - very useful! In full-screen mode I will see something like (8/7) but then when I go full-screen with that particular camera it will jump to (15/8) - I have the camera configured with a max framerate of 15fps.

Also worth noting is that when I return from full-screen mode (double-click on one camera, then double-click again) sometimes it takes quite a while for the fullscreen view to come back - 10 to 15 seconds before the black squares are filled in with video. As soon as one shows up, they all suddenly show up. Not a big deal, but sometimes a bit disconcerting.

• If you check log file (File menu > Open Log), do you see any recent messages there about decoder overload? If so, then this could explain the behaviour you are seeing, and you can read more about this here: I'm getting a "decoder overload" warning, what does this mean?

• Yes, I get decoder overloads quite frequently. I should reduce my framerates more, I know... VBR makes prediction of maximum capacity so difficult.

• I think this explains it, and yes the solution is to reduce frame rates until these messages are gone (or rare). When the decoder becomes overloaded, SecuritySpy has to dump a bunch of frames (all frames until the next key frame), so this can result in significantly degraded performance.