Feature Request (Again)
  • Can you please add MQTT support to Security Spy? It is just becoming more and more popular as time goes on. There are so many resources out there to implement it, that you could have a beta set up in less than a day. It would SIGNIFICANTLY improve the functionality of Security Spy.
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not clear to me that there is enough demand for this, nor how useful it would be even if implemented. Are you imaging that SecuritySpy would publish MQTT messages related to camera events (e.g. motion detection)? What would be the consumer of these events? Some context here about what you want to achieve would be helpful.
  • Yes. If Security Spy could publish events and listen for events it would make things significantly easier to control. It's a cross platform universal solution for home automation. I can do it now by connecting Security Spy to Indigo and then use MQTT in Indigo to link it to Home Assistant. Then from that it can be linked to pretty much anything.

For example, if the vibration sensor on my garbage can is triggered, Home Assistant sends an MQTT message which Indigo sees, which tells Indigo to have the Security Spy plugin move my outdoor PTZ camera to a PTZ preset set to pan to and zoom in on my garbage cans.

Indigo is great, but Home Assistant blows it out of the water. I'm only using it now to link MQTT messages to Security Spy.

Since MQTT is universal, you would just need to enable Security Spy for MQTT. Then pretty much any current and future home automation system could work with Security Spy. It's the only home automation protocol you would need to use. Home Assistant can even do significantly more with Homekit than Security Spy is already doing now if Security Spy used MQTT.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!