Skip to content

Firewalla Gold remote access

edited January 2021 in SecuritySpy
Firewalla gold provides an actual Firewalla provided DDNS, with no option to use another. I've set port forwards correctly for 8000/8001 - and cannot access remotely. All works internal network. Other port forwards work within Firewalla gold for non security spy apps that I use (plex, etc). So ports 8000/8001 are listed as open, and I believe they are. Any other ideas?

Firewalla Gold, latest release, SS 5, latest release.

Comments

• BenBen
    edited January 2021
    I'm not familiar with this device, but here are some things to check:

Apparently the Firewalla can be in "router mode" or "simple" mode (see Firewalla Gold: Switching from Simple/DHCP mode to Router Mode). Which mode are you using? I presume it's the former, since you describe setting up port forwarding within the Firewalla device, is this correct?

What other devices exist between the Mac running SecuritySpy and the Internet? If there is any other device is providing routing (NAT) functionality then you have a double-NAT situation which is more complex to navigate.

Is the Mac's firewall enabled under System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall? If so, is SecuritySpy added there to the list of exceptions?
  • Did you get this working? I'm having some trouble figuring out how to map with FWG as well. Either using Wireshark or port forwarding.

• BenBen
    edited December 2021

The Firewalla devices seem to be quite flexible and offer multiple different ways to configure and install them (see Which Firewalla mode to use?).

For the Firewalla Gold (FWG), the recommended setup is "Firewalla Router Mode" which is described on the page linked above. The layout is as follows:

In this mode, you should plug the FWG into your existing modem/router, and then plug all LAN devices on your network (including the Mac running SecuritySpy) into the FWG (either directly or via an Ethernet switch). If the FWG is connected to a router, this router should be set to bridge mode. Then, either turn on UPnP in the FWG so that SecuritySpy can automatically configure port forwarding for you, or you set up port forwarding for manually in the FWG.

The downside of this layout is that you can't use the modem/router's built-in WiFi features - this must be provided by a separate access point downstream of the Firewalla.