Skip to content

IOS App Servers Ambiguity

edited January 2020 in SecuritySpy
For reasons I won't get into here, I have to sometimes disable my port forwarding for SecuritySpy. I have a client-to-VPN configuration and can access SS from my IOS app fine on the VPN connection. Of course, I have to change the "Servers" configuration to do so. I don't see q way to add additional configurations for the same server to the app. If I do a "+" I am simply redoing the existing configuration (the old one goes away). To add to the confusion I have no way of knowing what the current configuration is -it may be configured for VPN, or name.viewcam.me! Is there something I am missing? At the very least (but still troublesome) it seems I should be able to edit the existing configuration without having to input all the information again.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• As you have discovered, if you add the same server again (e.g. with different connection settings) it will overwrite any previous server instance in the app. And I'm afraid at this time there is no way to edit an existing instance with new connection details.

This is because your case is extremely unusual - practically every other user has one consistent address setup for their SecuritySpy server, which only rarely changes.

Here's one solution that may work for you:

- Disable Bonjour on your SecuritySpy server (under Preferences - Web.

- Delete any existing server instance in the app.

- Add the server manually, and specify the server's LAN IP address (as you are using VPN, I presume you have set up the Mac running SecuritySpy to use a manual/static IP address on your local network, is this correct?)

- The app should then obtain the DDNS name from the server manually. Whenever it subsequently attempts to connect, it will try to do so on both the LAN IP and the DDNS name, so this should hopefully work in all circumstances.

If the above doesn't work initially, try deleting the app from your device, reinstall it, then follow the above steps again.
  • Ben,

Thanks that did the job.

I think SS is an extremely sophisticated and polished product and I would hate to be without it. But the app server configurations leaves a lot to be desired. I had to keep a chart while I tried different app configs while testing, since I couldn't remember what the configuration was once it was setup! It would be nice if you could "edit" and view the existing config, or/and even better have multiple configs.

Thanks again.
  • You can actually view the existing config - from the first screen showing the list of servers, tap and hold on one of them to see what addresses and ports are in use.

Currently the app will retain up to two addresses for each server (a LAN/local address and a WAN/Internet address). The next update of the app will improve this by retaining up to three addresses per server (any manually-entered address, plus the detected LAN and WAN addresses) so this should reduce problems when using a VPN.

As for editing an existing server configuration, we'll consider this but I don't think this would be useful for most users, so I think it would be better to spend development resources elsewhere.
  • How about for users that have 2 separate security spy licenses? (like myself)
    These are being used at separate locations and it's a pita to continually re-enter the details for each location.
  • Hi @nglayton - should work just fine: each SecuritySpy server should be recognised and treated separately in the SecuritySpy iOS app.

If you are finding that when you add one of your servers, it is replacing the other one, then this could be caused by having copied the settings file from one server to another at some point in the past. When SecuritySpy first runs, it creates a unique ID that is used to identify servers, but if you then copy the preferences file to another Mac and run SecuritySpy there, it will have the same ID. The solution to this is to erase the settings on one of your SecuritySpy instances and set it up again. To do this:

- Quit SecuritySpy
    - Open it while holding the cmd and alt (option) keys together
    - Click Yes when it asks if you want to erase the settings.