Skip to content

Home Assistant

13»

Comments

• Hi @benish

These kind of questions are not really related to the SecuritySpy software itself, but belong in the Home Assistant community forum, and there are tons of people there who can help anser your questions.

For your specific questions around notifications I recommend you start with this: https://companion.home-assistant.io/docs/notifications/notifications-basic/ Here you can learn everything about how to send pictures and video clips to a Phone or Watch.

And here is the link to the Home Assistant community forum: https://community.home-assistant.io

/B

• edited February 2022

@benish - unrelated to Home Assistant but similar to part of want you to achieve, I wrote a short guide explaining how to send a mini timelapse video to your phone via Telegram from the macOS computer running SecuritySpy. (see link below)

@Ben is it possible to allow me to edit my original post so that I can clean up the page with proper code formatting please? I wrote it when the old forum software didn't have that capability.

https://www.bensoftware.com/forum/discussion/3149/sending-a-short-fast-video-of-motion-to-telegram-example#latest

• @briis and @paul2020 thanks for the replies and guidance! I'll spend some time with the documentation and see how far I can get.

• This thread inspired me to install HA.

I have rolled HA Core 2022.10.3 and HOS 9.2 onto a Pi4, and did the onboarding. It's cool how it found so many of the bits in my house. I have some Node-RED stuff I'm playing with, so I installed that, the SSH toolkit, the AXIS toolkit, etc. Most seem to be working fine altho I'm just starting out; my Shelly for our water recirculation pump works fine, and I'm rolling in my MQTT stuff...

I then installed HACS, which came up fine, and then the SecuritySpy installation from @briis .

But then I am a bit lost. the git repo instructions guide one this way:

"To add SecuritySpy to your installation, go to the Integrations page inside the configuration panel and add a Server by providing the IP Address, Port Username and Password for the SecuritySpy Webserver you set up above.

If the Server is found on the network it will be added to your installation. After that, you can add additional Servers if you have more than one in your network.

You can only add SecuritySpy through the integrations page, not in configuration files."

I've looked around and haven't found the ... well I find what I think of as the standard Integrations page, under Settings/Devices and services -> Integrations tab.

However I don't see a config page for this Security Spy tool. I do see HACS as a service, but that leads to configuration for HACS itself. I do see, in the logs, a warning that SecuritySpy is being loaded, but even with the debugging flag set ( as per git page's instructions ) I don't see any obvious problems.

Am I caught in between HA's UI changes WRT moving config stuff to the web UI?

• @caseyd I remember setting that up, but can't remember where it was and can't seem to find those settings – perhaps because I already have it configured. I'd check 2 places (the links below go to annotated screen captures):

From Home Assistant admin, go to Settings, then Devices & Services; it should default to Integrations – find SecuritySpy and click the "CONFIGURE" button

Oh, wait… I found it and think I remember the confusing part of this:

You need to install the SecuritySpy integration within HACS (sounds like you've done this), but then you also need to add it as an integration within the core Home Assistant user interface – adding an integration via HACS doesn't automatically install / activate it in Home Assistant (seems like it should though, huh?). I bet you need to do this:

From Home Assistant admin, go to Settings, then Devices & Services; it should default to Integrations. Click the "Add Integration" button in the lower right corner. Search for Security… and click on SecuritySpy – it should bring up this configuration screen, which is where you put your SecuritySpy Webserver info. Apparently the only way to get to that dialog is via the Add Integration button, which is why I missed it (I was looking for a way to edit that stuff).

I've definitely been impressed with how much stuff just works in Home Assistant, and how often they are making updates, but there are definitely some confusing parts like this that can be frustrating.

• Thanks @benish - that 'second' integration addition is the trick. The process kicks up a dialog as described in the github docs, and as you link to. This is a confusing aspect, as I expected the installation to 'punch through' to deployment.

Also inspired me to update the sspy server at HQ to 5.5.1 ( Mojave / 2012 mini maxed up )

I'm getting some drops from the lower-end Ubi cams, connected via an Untangle VPN, but I can deal with that later. currently I am slurping them up via the remote SSpy's link to the HQ SSpy instance. Probably better simply to add a second integration and point it at the remote SSpy instance over the VPN.

(the axis integration didn't trawl the subnet/VPN and find the few axis cams at the remote site )

Thanks again, happy caseyd here.

• 100% agree that when I install an integration in HACS I expected it to show up in the active Home Assistant Integrations, although I can understand what I suspect the rationale is: installing something in HACS is more like adding it to the library of possible integrations (joining all the built in ones that ship with Home Assistant, but aren't on by default) – but you still need to tell Home Assistant to activate it. It could definitely be clearer, but I've been stumbling my way through so maybe it's more obvious if you actually read all the Home Assistant docs. 😄

One thing you might be interested in, in case you haven't seen it yet: SecuritySpy for Home Assistant supports events from Security Spy for Human, Vehicle and Animal detection (via the SecuritySpy AI), along with a confidence score:

https://github.com/briis/securityspy/issues/42

My plan is do things like: if a human is detected at the driveway (confidence over a certain number), turn the driveway lights to 100%, etc.

• I expected it to show up in the active Home Assistant Integrations, although I can understand what I suspect the rationale is: installing something in HACS is more like adding it to the library of possible integrations

HACS is just a Store where you can download Integrations that are not part of the Core Home Assistant. So totally by design, the only thing HACS does is download all the necessary files to the proper location, so that it is available from the "Settings"->"Devices & Services" page, like all the other Integrations. When you download an Integration from HACS it requires a restart of Home Assistant for it to be visible to Home Assistant. HACS does one more thing: it keeps the user notified of updates to the integration.

• @benish That’s an awesome idea and exactly what I’ve been planning to do. I’ve put together a thousands hacks to do this sort of thing via SS —> helper app —> HomeBridge —> dummy switches —> messenger plugin —> Pushover.io (with conditions).