Skip to content

Video time stamp unaware of DST

edited March 2017 in SecuritySpy
Just noticed the time stamp on my video is an hour behind. I looked around but don't see how to fix this. I would have thought it would get its info from the computer. Thanks.

Comments

• if the time stamp is added by Security Spy it should be whatever the computer system time is. If the time stamp is from the camera itself, it can depend on the camera and if it supports DST, pretty sure at least one of my models I have to go into manually each spring & fall to adjust.

(as is noted in the documentation, while it's handy to just have security spy put the time stamps onto the video, it does dramatically increase the load on the computer to decode the stream, add the time stamp, and re-encode it to save it to file - can also result in larger files, so its' recommended not to use that feature, and instead have the camera(s) time stamp the video directly)
  • It looks like Security Spy is putting it there. It does not match the computer time. Where do I go to change it?
  • SecuritySpy does get it's time from the system time.

However older versions of SecuritySpy didn't update their time zone information very frequently, so this could be the issue. If you download and install the latest version of SecuritySpy this should fix it.

If this doesn't fix it, then it's probably the camera's time stamp that you are seeing.

As @BrianM says, having SecuritySpy add a time stamp is computationally expensive, you should consider enabling this on the camera instead, and have SecuritySpy save the video stream directly with no recompression.
  • All 6 of my Dahua cameras had/have this problem. They have all been set up to observe DST (date based) and to use NTP to get time updates every 10 minutes. But Daylight Savings time came and...camera time stamps were still showing pre-DST times.

I had to annoyingly log into the web interface of each and every camera and manually click "Update" on the Dahua software time control panel setting...it then happily realized it was time to change the clock and changed it. So...easy to fix...but annoying that they have all the settings needed to do this automatically but don't seem to actually DO it automatically.