Change the Default Location for Recordings
  • I'm new to using Security Spy, and would like to know if it is possible to change the default storage location for the motion detection recordings and if so, how it might be configured. Having trouble running an FTP server on Mac X.X so I thought that I would change the default motion storage to a cloud service for retrieval when required. Thanks!
  • Hi - you can change the location where SecuritySpy saves files under the Setup section of the Camera Settings window. The setting is called "Capture Destination" and is set on a per-camera basis. All files recorded for the camera (still images, motion-detection recordings, timelapse recordings etc.) will be saved to the location you specify here.

If you want to have the files automatically uploaded to the internet for offsite backup, then you can either use FTP, or a cloud service such as Dropbox or Google Drive - any cloud service that uses a folder on your drive, accessible in the Finder, will work. Simply point the capture destination of a camera to a folder within this location (e.g. create a folder called "Footage for Camera 1" within the Dropbox folder, and point SecuritySpy to this).

Hope this helps!
  • Thanks! Perfect!
  • Can I change the capture destination to a external hard drive?, Or does it have to be in the internal hard drive of my mac mini?
  • It's no problem to capture to an external drive. Just make sure the drive in question is formatted using "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" format - you can use Disk Utility to do this if you haven't already.

Use the Capture Destination setting described above to select the external drive for any camera.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!