IPv6 address entry
  • The release notes say 3.0 added support for IPv6 network cameras, but how should they be configured in SecuritySpy as a video device? I have a Dahua dome camera that's dual stacked with both v4 and v6 addresses. For the camera's IP address I tried the raw IPv6 address, the v6 address in brackets, and finally a hostname listed in a /etc/host entry that pointed at the v6 address. None of them worked, SecuritySpy just reported a connection timeout. Switching back to the v4 address, I get video again.
  • Firstly, please make sure you are using the latest version of SecuritySpy, as this has some bug fixes relating to IPv6 addresses.

Then, make sure to enter the raw IPv6 address, without square brackets, and note that IPv6 addresses must contain precisely 7 colons (don't use the double-colon shorthand to eliminate a run of zeros) - for example 2001:db8:0:0:0:8a2e:370:7348

In the next version we'll make sure that SecuritySpy recognises and can deal with the square brackets notation too.
  • After tcpdumping again, I found out what was happening. The camera doesn't seem to support RTSP (port 554) over IPv6; it just slams the door shut with a reset. Port 80/443 does work so there's HTTP streaming, but pretty lamesauce.

No idea if it's fixed in a newer version of Dahua IPC firmware. This is "2.400.0000.0.R, build : 2013-12-31". I haven't found a reputable source for anything newer, just random firmware people have dug up on sketchy forums.
  • OK, does the web server work over IPv6 too? How do you connect to it?

Currently, for WAN access, my setup is the router forwards port 443 (SSL) to the Mac which is listening on port 8001.

Note, I *am* able to connect to the same machine remotely via Apple Remote Desktop, using its IPv6 address. So the end to end path does support IPv6.
  • SecuritySpy's web server does support IPv6, so all you need to do is use the IPv6 address, and make sure you have the correct port number too (8001 in your case).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!