Skip to content

Motion Detection feature request, and thanks

edited August 2014 in SecuritySpy
So far, the software is performing great! Very well done.

One thing that would help is another text overlay option.

It would be nice to have a -m option to include the motion percentage detected in the frame. I think it would make it quicker to calibrate the best setting, and when looking at recorded videos it would be easy to see how much motion triggered false events.

Showing a number in an overlay might need to come with an explanation of how that relates to the sensitivity setting, and what to set it to to ignore a false trigger. On initial setup, I reversed the meaning of "sensitivity" and pushed it lower thinking it needed to see a smaller percentage change in order to capture.

Also, on boot of a Mac mini, a Logitech C920 was only showing 2fps. I quit the program and moved the usb to another port where I did my initial testing, and FPS jumped back up to 30. Not sure if this was just a coincidence, or if some USB ports on the 2010 Mac Minis perform better than others.

-John

Comments

• Hi John, glad you like the software!

This is an interesting idea, however with the "trigger time" setting in SecuritySpy, it's not just one frame that triggers capture: it's the proportion of frames over a period of time (e.g. 2 seconds) that have a level of motion above a certain threshold. So I can't really think of a way to add this information to the text overlay in a meaningful and useful way. Generally, the best thing to do is look at the motion indicators (in the Camera Status or Camera Settings window) and adjust the sensitivity so that they go red (indicating motion detection) when an event occurs, but stay below this red line otherwise.

As for the USB ports, yes you will probably find that some ports are faster than others. Our blog post on USB Cameras and SecuritySpy may be of interest.