SecuritySpy and Chromecast + screensaver
  • I recently got my hands on a Google Chromecast and wondered how well it would work to remotely view SecuritySpy video on a TV. I only saw one brief mention last year of using one, so I thought I'd see what I could do with it. A simple problem I have is that the Mac Mini running SS is in the back room, and I want a TV or something up front to display it (without burning another mini just to run a browser). I found out it works pretty well for me, so I'd recommend giving it a try.

After installing everything (this was very simple), a little tiny drop-down in the Chrome browser's streaming tab lets you stream the entire screen contents to a Chromecast, not just a browser tab. (beta feature?) Throw on the SecuritySpy screen saver, tell Chrome to mirror the full screen, activate the screen saver and you're set. Full screen camera video piped to a TV in another room for $35!

(of course one could use a chromecast for streaming other interesting things, but we're being selfish here)

I like the screensaver view instead of a browser window open to the web ui, a lot less wasted screen real estate. Setup of the thing was amazingly simple. Plugged it into a tv, then downloaded an installer app from google. Somehow my laptop (already on WPA2'd wi-fi) magically found the chromecast without fiddling with some hokey discovery scheme. My laptop wi-fi briefly re-associated during setup for a few seconds, then finished. From then on I could use the Chrome browser plug-in on any computer to stream to the TV. Didn't try with Firefox; nor Windows.

--bwann
  • Many thanks for posting this information, it sounds like a really nice solution and I'm sure this will be of interest to many users!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!