Feature request: SFTP
  • Hi, it looks like SecuritySpy only supports plain ol' insecure FTP with its mess of ports?

I'd like to see it support SSH FTP which rectifies the above two issues.

My fallback will probably be having an AppleScript run, which calls the scp command.

Cheers
  • Yes, SecuritySpy supports FTP rather than FTP-SSL/SFTP. We haven't prioritised development of this because better solutions now exist for off-site storage, such as Dropbox. Dropbox is really a good solution: as far as SecuritySpy is concerned it is simply capturing video to the local hard drive: the Dropbox software then does all the syncing of the footage to their servers. Setup is minimal and all internet communication is encrypted.
  • OK, thanks for honest insight. Due to traffic limits in New Zealand I always store captured files locally, then turn on uploading when I need an offsite copy. Looks like my best option will be an AppleScript folder action I can turn on & off as needed, which then calls scp to an SSH server.
  • The problem with dropbox is that it relies upon someone else's infrastructure. Is the conversion to SFTP a big deal? I prefer anything having to do with security elements be encrypted on the network (it's a policy here) and SecuritySpy has been bending the rules a bit. It would also be great if the webserver could support HTTPS, even with a self-signed key out of the box.
  • SFTP is a completely different protocol to FTP, however FTP-SSL, which most FTP servers support, is just an extension of the standard protocol that SecuritySpy supports, so I will look at the possibility of adding this.

And I agree about the web server, it's already on the "to do" list, I'll increase the priority.
  • Take a look at Bittorrent Sync (btsync). I originally wanted SFTP support and decided this was a pretty good alternative. This will let you make encrypted, real-time synchronized copies of a directory directly between computers. As a bonus, the more computers you copy to, the more resilient+efficient the copies can go. Depending how you use it you're not completely dependent on somebody else's infrastructure.

For example, if the computers you're copying to are all on the same LAN, the btsync clients will discover each other via multicast (port 3838?) and replicate to each other (using the bittorrent protocol) as fast as possible. There's no requirement for external dependencies here.

Out of the box the btsync client also connects to Bittorrent's public trackers and tries to speak to the public internet (via UPnP and/or relay servers if necessary to get around NAT). This is a very slick feature that lets you sync/copy your video/etc files to other off-site computers without concern of what kind of network they're on or OS they run.

As for failures beyond your control, if you do off-site copies you are at the mercy of BT's public trackers to provide coordination/discovery between your computers. However, if you really wanted to control your own destiny, you can disable all public tracker/relay functions in the client and tell it to connect specifically to X address(es) to copy from.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!