Network traffic to camera even when passive
  • Have been using the software for years and love it!

However, I noticed that even when the cameras are all set to passive mode, SecuritySpy is still requesting the image data from the cameras. This has a pretty serious impact on my WiFi network when using WiFi cameras, so I've switched to wired connections, but it still uses a lot of bandwidth.

I'd like to know how to get SecuritySpy to not request image data when cameras are in passive mode.

I turned on the option "Perform motion detection for cameras in active mode only", but it still gets the images in passive mode.

I'm using Axis network cameras and SecuritySpy 3.0.2.

Thanks,
    Tim
  • Hi Tim,

Yes, this is indeed the case. Even in Passive mode SecuritySpy is still receiving the video (and displaying it in video windows), ready for recording when the cameras are switched to Active mode.

Over a local wired network this isn't generally a problem. However, if there are a lot of cameras and you are noticing a network slowdown, you might like to upgrade your network hardware (e.g. if you are currently using a megabit switch, change it for a gigabit switch), or you can even set up an entirely separate network just for the cameras, to keep the traffic off your main network.

Additionally, if your cameras support MPEG-4 or H.264 encoding, you should use this instead of JPEG encoding as it will result in much lower bandwidth. You select this using the Format setting in the Video Device Settings window in SecuritySpy for each camera.

Hope this helps.
  • Any chance to add an option to stop retrieving images in passive mode? My system is off 90% of the time, so it seems a bit wasteful. Some of my wireless cameras are 802.11b and using them seems to completely saturate the wireless network, so I can't use them at all. Those older cameras only support JPG.

Thanks,
    Tim
  • Hi Tim,

I'm afraid that's just not how SecuritySpy is designed to work: it needs a continuous video stream from a camera even if it is in passive mode, for various reasons (for example to provide live video views, streaming via the web server, and to be ready to immediately switch to Active mode for recording). If you don't need SecuritySpy running most of the time, can you simply quit it when you're not using it? Otherwise to automate this, set it to quit/load automatically at certain times using AppleScript.

To use the cameras over WiFi without them saturating your existing network, you could add a second wireless access point (e.g. an Airport Express) to your network that is dedicated to the cameras - so you'll have one WiFi point used for the cameras and another for other devices. They'll both be on the same network (set the Airport Express to bridge mode), but using two will double your wireless bandwidth as they will operate on different channels.

Hope this helps.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!