Skip to content

Lost my live cameras Web Server

edited November 2013 in SecuritySpy
Hello, my cameras and my server are in the Phoenix Arizona area, I am in New Jersey. I remotely connect with the Web Server. I changed the motion post capture, from the standard 20 seconds to 45 seconds for my two cameras. Previously they had been working correctly. Now they no longer record and I no longer can view them live.

What have I done??
Bob

Comments

• Hi Bob,

Without further information about exactly what you are seeing, a few different things could be wrong:

1. The internet connection at the Arizona location could be down temporarily. You will get a connection error message in your web browser.

2. The IP address of the internet connection at the Arizona location has changed. Again, you will get a connection error message in your web browser. If you are using SecuritySpy's DDNS name, this will update in 10 minutes or so. However if you are using an IP address directly in order to connect, you should use SecuritySpy's DDNS system instead.

3. The cameras themselves are down, or their IP addresses have changed. In this case you will be able to connect to SecuritySpy using a web browser, however the cameras will not be available to view. Please follow our instructions for setting up your IP cameras with static (manual) addresses on the local network at the Arizona location.

The post-capture settings change is unlikely to be related to this connection issue.

Hope this helps.
  • Hi Ben,

1) and 2) Nope it's up. I can see the Security Spy WEB server with the two tabs - Live video, and Captured files. I can also watch old videos

3) The cameras were up until I changed the "motion post capture, from the standard 20 seconds to 45 seconds" under the Camera Settings. They are have static addresses and I am sure they are correct.

Any other thoughts (BTW great program)
    Bob Ross
  • Hi Bob,

OK so we know all the port forwarding and DDNS settings are working correctly, that's good.

The only reason why a camera would disappear from the list in the SecuritySpy web server is if the connection between SecuritySpy and that camera breaks for some reason. So that we can look into this further please locate the log file in your SecuritySpy folder within your Documents folder and email it to us. We'll have a look at let you know what could be going wrong.

Thanks
  • The hardware is in Phoenix and I am in NJ - with no access to the log file remotely. When I left the system running I did not leave a way to force a remote re-boot. That was dumb.

If I think of a way to get at the log file, I will. The people who live in the area I know are all Windoz people!!

Bob
  • Hi Bob - you can get the log via SecuritySpy's web server. On the front page of the web server where there are tabs that say Status/Web Activity/Log, click the Log tab.

For the future you might want to set up screen sharing to the computer in question or follow some other tips in our blog post on the topic.
  • Yep right there on the front page!! I emailed a longer section of the log - it's repeating

11-07-2013 1032-55: Error communicating with the network device "Back Yard" 3.1.1,89900,8800 The server closed the connection

11-07-2013 1035-36: Error communicating with the network device "AZ Living" 3.1.1,70900,800 The operation timed out

11-07-2013 1042-20: Error communicating with the network device "Front Door" 3.1.1,89900,8800 The server closed the connection

11-07-2013 1043-15: Error communicating with the network device "Back Yard" 3.1.1,89900,8800 The server closed the connection

Bob
  • Hi All,

Dumb computer user here!! Ben you were correct, your software was not the issue. When I changed the record time, Safari changed my password to the camera. I did not notice it because it just shows "dots". The clue was on the front page there was a error message rather then "Cameras" active or passive.

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth. When I get back to Phoenix I will finish up my install with remote access!!

Thanks
  • Hi Bob - great to hear you worked out what the problem was! Have fun with the rest of the installation :)