Skip to content

Move SS to another machine - how to copy all settings?

edited November 2020 in SecuritySpy
I'm moving my SS install to another mac. I thought all I'd need to do was copy the ~/Library/Application Support/SecuritySpy directory to the new system, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

How does one move an SS install without manually reconfiguring everything?

Comments

• I have a Mac Mini that is starting to show errors that indicate a potential hardware problem with the GPU. I have ordered a replacement Mac Mini. Question do I need to unregister SS and other recommendations in the FAQ or just leave everything to Migration Assistant? SS is 5.2.6
  • Migration Assistant should handle everything, as it copies across all settings files in the user's Preferences folder. You don't need to unregister SecuritySpy on the old computer, but if you're not going to erase/reformat the old machine, it might be wise to do so (or simply delete the SecuritySpy application itself), because if you open SecuritySpy on the old Mac, at the same time as SecuritySpy is open on the new Mac with the same license details, one of them will automatically de-register.
  • edited November 2020
    *facepalm* it was right there under my nose. I didn't even look at the File menu, only the SecuritySpy one. Thank you, Ben!

On happy note: my old laptop (2012 11" 3rd-gen i7 MacBook Air) can do full hardware decode on all 6 cameras at full resolution without any issues. This is great news!