Crash on startup
  • I am not sure these two are related, but I can't think of anything else that might be at fault. A couple days ago I had a problem with an external drive attached to my SS system and I had to shut SS down, address the drive issue and start back up. When I did I started receiving crash notifications about 15 seconds after SS was running. Like this:

Process: SecuritySpy [56905]
    Path: /Applications/SecuritySpy.app/Contents/MacOS/SecuritySpy
    Identifier: com.bensoftware.SecuritySpy
    Version: 5.1.0 (5.0)
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: ??? [1]
    Responsible: SecuritySpy [56905]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2019-11-21 18:02:14.972 -0800
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G103)
    Report Version: 12
    Bridge OS Version: 4.1 (17P1081)
    Anonymous UUID: 5B70F514-B7EB-25FD-BF6B-FC8BECF3C829

Time Awake Since Boot: 95000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 5 Dispatch queue: com.apple.CoreMLNNProcessingQueue

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4
    Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
    Terminating Process: exc handler [56905]

Application Specific Information:
    BUG IN CLIENT OF LIBDISPATCH: Release of a locked queue

It may be a coincidence, but I formatted the drive and it started up ok (after having failed with this error 10+ times). It ran fine for a couple days, and I just rebooted to do some OS updates. When it auto started I started getting this error again, and formatting the drive didn't do anything (so I am thinking it was a coincidence previously). I am going to try installing Catalina now just to see if it makes a difference. I've been holding off on that on my SS system because of some issues I had on my iMac, but worth a try. If that doesn't work I'll go back and see if I can start reverting to backups, but I am hoping someone can point me to the underlying issue here.
  • This is not related to your drive; it’s a known bug in CoreML, which is the Apple framework that SecuritySpy uses to run its AI (I have previously submitted a bug report to Apple about this but I have yet to hear back). It must just be a coincidence that this started around the same time as your drive problems. I would definitely recommend updating to Catalina to see if this resolves the problem - please report back once you have done this.
  • Thanks Ben. That makes sense. I am not sure why it started right at the time of that drive issue but it clearly was a coincidence. I ran out of time to do the Catalina upgrade tonight but will finish it tomorrow and let you know
  • After the Catalina upgrade this did not happen. Since it came on suddenly and was intermittent I'll give it a little while before I completely call it a success, but it looks promising so far!
  • Just had this happen again for the first time since the Catalina upgrade (and it started happening out of the blue several days ago prior to Catalina, after having run without issue for months). I'm not quite sure what is happening, but without any configuration changes things really started coming apart over the last few days on what was a very stable system. The Mac mini is about 7 months old or so, and everything was setup clean on it at that time. I don't particularly want to go through a rebuild but I am considering copying off the config for SS and a couple other home automation apps that are installed and doing a clean install of Catalina.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!