Using SS to record a Wansview IP camera on a different network with no port forwarding?
  • I appreciate this is a long shot, but here goes.

I have about nine Wansview cams at home connected via ethernet/wifi to SS. Despite the low cost of the Wansview cams everything works extremely well.

I have setup another Wansview cam at a different location (a workplace) which is connecting to locations wifi, the owner of the location is happy for me to connect the camera to his setup, but he's not willing to setup port forwarding etc.

At home, I can connect to the Wansview cam using their own software. I'm not going to pretend I 100% understand how this works without port forwarding, but I think it's something to do with P2P, or UID, or RSTP, or something, and the camera first connects to the Wansview server, then the app connects to it.

I think this is how it roughly works, as I say, I'm not really sure!

The issue is, the Wansview software is terrible. I would really like to connect the camera to SS, but I've tried everything and failed.

I did approach Wansview and they sent me a URL that I'm meant to use, starting rstp:password:login, or something like that, but it didn't work, possibly because the info they gave me was very garbled, somewhat lost in translation I think.

So, before I spend more time on this, is it even possible with the cameras and SS being on the same network, or turning on and configuring port forwarding? Can SS somehow connect to the server the Wansview app is connecting to and so connect to the camera that way?
  • *So, before I spend more time on this, is it even possible WITHOUT the cameras and SS being on the same network,
  • For what you describe, you really need port forwarding. This is the only way to allow incoming connections from the Internet to your camera (which is required for RTSP streaming from it).

From your description, the Wansview software works via their own intermediary servers. So both the camera and the client app are making outgoing connections to a server in order to communicate. This doesn't require port forwarding, but it does require Wansview to maintain server infrastructure, so this is most likely going to be locked down to their own software and specifically not designed to work with standard protocols and third party software.

Here are your options:

- Many cameras can automatically configure port forwarding via UPnP, so check for this feature in your camera's settings. If it does have this feature, the camera should be able to automatically configure the router's port forwarding to allow incoming connections.

- For this to work, you'll also need a static Internet IP address at the workplace location, or the camera will have to support DDNS (most do). You need either of these things in order to have a static Internet address for the camera.

- If the camera does not have UPnP or DDNS, then perhaps one solution would be to change to a different camera that does have both features.

- An alternative is to install a Mac (e.g. a Mac mini) at the workplace location running SecuritySpy. SecuritySpy can do both UPnP and DDNS, so it can make itself available to the Internet without having to manually adjust port forwarding.

- The above assumes that the router actually has UPnP enabled, which is not necessarily the case. Are you able to find this out? If not, then the only solution would be a Mac running SecuritySpy, with a tunnel to the Internet via something like ngrok (see our blog post for more info: Remote Access via Mobile/Cellular or Satellite Internet Connection.

Hope this helps!
  • I have a camera with UPnP, so will give that a try. But, I've no idea what the settings are the router and the owner isn't up for letting me look around the admin panel. I get that: His approach is it works, you can have a camera, but you ain't gonna mess with things that work! So it's fair enough.

I had thought about installing an iMac in the location, this is very doable, goodness knows I've enough old ones laying around!

Thanks for the reply and ideas.
  • If there is a Mac running at that location, an easy way to check if the router has UPnP enabled is to grab the PortMap macOS app and attempt to set up port forwarding via that. So you may like to try this before going to the trouble of installing and configuring a new camera there. I'm sure there are equivalent Windows utilities, but I don't know of any offhand.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!