Foscam G2 choppiness
  • Hey,

I know this camera isn't officially supported, but I've had good luck with other Foscam cameras in the past, so I figured I'd try them (1080p for $30 on Prime Day was too good to pass up trying an upgrade).

When I view the video feed in my browser, framerate is great.

But in SecuritySpy, although it's set to 25fps, it seems like I'm only getting 2 or 3 fps.

The 720p Foscam I'm replacing never seemed to have any issues in SecuritySpy.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try for settings in both the camera and SecuritySpy to get a smoother video? Right now I'm using the ONVIF profile with RRSP (video and audio) [this is what I used with my old camera), but I'm happy to try anything else that might yield better results.
  • As a quick test, I downloaded Sighthound video (the only other Mac app anything like SecuritySpy that I can find) and both of these camera feeds work flawlessly there.

So, it seems to me, it's something in SecuritySpy having trouble with these cameras. I'd love to get them working, so I don't have to take them down, send them back, and buy the more expensive Foscams I see on the supported cameras list.
  • So I bought a FI9900P (which is on the Supported IP Cam list) and set it up last night.

It's better than the G2 in terms of frame rate, but the video quality is garbage in SecuritySpy.

Watch this video sample: https://take.ms/i61b9

The top left corner is the "live view" from my browser, direct from the camera.
    The right image is from SecuritySpy. See as I move my arm into frame, the SecuritySpy video pixelates and is terrible quality on movement.

My settings for the FI9900P are: https://take.ms/Zg8F8 (though I tried every Foscam profile with the same results)

The settings on the camera: https://take.ms/VjDql

Any advice is welcome. The last thing I want to do is go back to the 720p cameras!
  • Aha. Amazon tricked me by offering a “new model” of the FI9900 (the supported camera), with the G4 model (which, while a higher resolution, is not on the supported list).

I just put in an order for 2 FI9900s and will see how that goes when they arrive tomorrow.

I’m curious as to why the supported cam list seems to all be outdated models. Most of the current Foscam cameras aren’t on the list and the ones I’ve tried don’t seem to work with SecuritySpy. Is there plans to add more current models to the supported list and to get them to work with SecuritySpy? It seems 1080p is the highest resolution outdoor camera that’s supported right now when there’s 2k+ models on the market for the same price.
  • The FI9900s seem slightly better, though not at the full 4M. 1080P at 2M seems to work, but lags more than I'd like it to lag.

I'd love some pointers on how to increase the responsiveness of the FI9900s wirelessly. Sometimes it's speedy, sometimes it's lagging by 2 or 3 seconds.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!