Skip to content

Motion triggered videos end at 3 minutes

edited June 2019 in SecuritySpy
All of a sudden, in the last three days, any time motion is detected and my motion-activated recording starts, it ends at 3 minutes. It also doesn’t seem to recognize any motion to even start a new video for at least another 15 minutes or so.

Before, each new motion event caused the video to keep recording. The length I’d selected for each motion video played out at the end. In other words, if I had it set to record 10 minutes, it would record a full 10 minutes after the last motion was detected.

Now, no matter what length I’ve selected, they’re all about 3:04 in length, no matter how much motion is being detected during the recording.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comments

• This sounds rather strange. Nothing like this is being reported by other users, so I'm not immediately sure what could be going on here.

Could you please confirm what version of SecuritySpy you are using, and what values you have entered for the pre-capture and post-capture times for this camera?
  • I thought it seemed odd. I'm several states away from the site with the camera/computer right now, so I can't tell you the exact version, but I'm sure it's the most recent one. I have SS set to check for updates on restart, and I restarted it five days ago before I went out of town and no update popped up.

2012 Mac mini, latest version of Mojave OS.

Pre-Capture = 1 second
    Post-Capture = 300 seconds.

I've used those values for years with no issues.

Even stranger: I happened to logon yesterday evening after posting the above, and saw that motion was occurring and had been for over a half-hour. The movie file started then (a half-hour earlier) and was still listed in italics on the web-interface, meaning that it was still recording. I have it set to also capture stills every minute, and it was, just as it should. Yet, later, when motion had stopped for over 300 seconds and the video was done recording, what should have been close to an hour-long video was again 3:04 in length. So strange.

Finally, after that happened, I decided to try to just set continuous capture until I return, to make sure nothing is missed. When I did so and returned to the main screen, I suddenly had "(No Cameras Available)" As I type, over 12 hours later, that is still the case. I can still logon onto my server, meaning power and internet are still okay at the site, but the camera is just gone. I'd say the camera itself failed, but that wouldn't explain the three days of time-restricted movies.
  • In case it matters, I just checked, and the camera is currently throwing this error code:
    4.2.10,70280,400 Failed to obtain video frame from network device
  • BenBen
    edited June 2019
    How are you viewing these files? If you are viewing via the web interface, using the Low Quality (LQ) links, these are limited in terms of duration, in order to deliver files quickly even over a slow connection.

If you click the High Quality (HQ) links (or you view the files in the Finder or SecuritySpy's Browser feature), do you see the same problem?
  • Unfortunately my system isn’t responding at all anymore, so I can’t check. But, all of my checking before was using your app, which doesn’t say which quality is being shown. If the app defaults to showing LQ movies, that would explain that issue I think.
  • Update: my server is back up, so I was able to verify you are exactly right. LQ movies show only three minutes of vid. The HQ are full length. Thanks.

Unfortunately, my camera there is still down: still throwing the same error code listed above. No idea what the problem is there.
  • Good to hear this is just a viewing problem rather than a recording problem. Did you specifically set the "High-quality movies" setting to "Off" or "WiFi Only" in the app settings on your device?

As for the 400 error, this is an HTTP/RTSP response which means that the camera is rejecting the request that SecuritySpy is sending. What camera make/model is this?
  • I checked, and yes, it was set to WiFi only.

The camera/server is a Vivotek 8100.