Remote Connection with VPN on Host
  • I'm running SS on a Mac mini, and its fantastic. However, I recently added a VPN (ExpressVPN), and now I'm having an issue viewing my cameras remotely. Everything still works fine on my home network whether I advertise Bonjour or not, so I don't think that's the issue. I have also had no problem with remote viewing in the past..I have the web server enabled and I'm using the viewcam.me ddns.

I have a feeling it has something to do with my IP changing (for outgoing communication) due to the VPN. Is there a standard method for using SS with VPNs, or is this something that needs to be addressed on their end?

• With a VPN, your Mac is no longer connected directly to the Internet; it's connected via the VPN, and your public (WAN) IP address will be provided by the VPN company and may be shared by multiple VPN users. Furthermore, you will be behind the VPN company's NAT (Network Address Translation), with no access to configure this NAT, so there is no route from incoming connections from the Internet back to any device on your network.

So for remote access to SecuritySpy, I think you will have to turn off VPN for this Mac mini.
  • Thanks man...I was able to reconfigure the VPN using their split tunneling feature. Now I can selectively choose which apps are routed through the VPN and which ones to run normally.
  • Perfect - great to know this is possible!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!