Setting up a Camera from an RTSP Stream from a Synology Surveillance Station
  • Hi,

I tried to use the share stream path function from a Synology Surveillance Station to set up a camera in Security Spy. I tried both options (rtsp and rtsp-over-http) but I always get "unrecognised request, check device setup".

When I use rtsp, the request string is "Sms=12.unicast". I tried "/Sms=12.unicast" and "/Sms=12.unicast/" and "Sms=12.unicast/" as well. Surveillance station has generated the username "syno" and a 32 character password for this stream, which I copied into Security Spy. If I change the request string to "Sms=11.unicast" I get the error "Bad username or password" which seems to prove that everything except the Request String is correct. When I try to view the RTSP stream with VLC it works.

VLC shows me that the stream is:

H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part10) (h264)
    1280x720
    20 fps
    Planar 4:2:0 YUV

Any ideas?
  • I think you are running into an RTSP compatibility problem that has been fixed in the latest beta version of SecuritySpy (currently 4.2.4b10).

In this new version, there is a built-in profile for these devices, called "Synology Surveillance Station NVR". So select this as the Profile setting under Preferences -> Cameras -> Device, enter the username "syno" and the 32-character password, and select the input number you want (e.g. 12).

Does this work for you?
  • Thanks. It works perfectly.
  • Great - thanks for reporting back.
  • One comment about an inconvenience caused by surveillance station for using it with Security Spy: I have set-up 6 cameras from surveillance station in security spy now. Surveillance station has created a separate 32 character password for each of them and if I stop and restart a camera in surveillance station it creates a new password for it, which requires then to copy the new password into security spy for re-activating the camera there as well.
  • That is rather inconvenient. Is there a way to specify a password that doesn't change? What about authenticating with the main administrator login for the device instead of the random 32-character password - does that work?
  • I tried it. It does not work (error: bad username or password)
  • I found an easy fix for this problem in surveillance station:
    IP Camera -> Edit -> Life View Settings -> Advanced -> Stream Sharing Path -> Duration of Validity
    needs to be changed from "1 hour" to "forever"
    Then the 32 character password stays the same
  • That's great! Thanks for posting the solution.
  • Is there a benefit of using surveillance station? It seems more efficient to directly add the cams in SSpy then just write the data to a directory structure on your NAS. Then you can also let SSpy control the rolling deletion of media when the disks get full.

I use a dedicated network-mounted synology NAS as the destination drive for all of my SSpy recordings and it works well.

But I never thought of routing the cameras via SurvStn then re-streaming them to SSpy. If there's a real benefit this would be a simple re-config. Any tips or viewpoints on this would be helpful.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!