Green screen flickers in camera windows
  • I'm running Security Spy 4.0.5 on Yosemite with 4 TRENDnet TV-IP320PI 1.3MP 720p PoE IP Network Cameras and I constantly get 'green screens' when watching the cameras. The screen will go green for a second and then back again.

I've read here, in another post, that this could be due to a corrupted video stream but I find that I can eliminate it by setting the frame rate of the cameras (via their web console) to 10fps.

It seems sad to have to reduce these cameras to such a low frame rate. Are they just crappy cameras or is there a setting I'm missing in the software?
  • Hi, i guess its your graphic card? I got the problem when my card can't handle the buffer size and rendering. I am on a Mac Pro 3.1, 8 core with 6 cameras at 25 frames and the original GT120 which will be to slow if the buffersize goes over 1536 kbps with the High profile, i am now updating my hardware. Try to lower your buffersize and activate the "Use only half frames in Camera windows" you find it in the preferences". Hope that helps.....

kind regards
  • In my case the green screen was because of the super high bitrate the camera can (and was) pushing (max 4M). I reset this back to the default of 2M for the main stream and 512K for the subchannel and the green screens went away.
  • It may not be the case with you, but I sometimes get this after a camera (Foscam in my case) has been running for months straight - rebooting the camera fixes it
    (either by unplugging and plugging back in after 30+ seconds, or using the camera web UI to reboot)
  • Green screens normally indicate corrupt data is being received from the camera, which can't be properly decompressed. Typical culprits for this are insufficient network bandwidth, bad network hardware or poor camera firmware. Things to try:

- If the camera is connected by WiFi, this problem can indicate WiFi signal strength or interference issues. If possible, connect the camera by wired Ethernet.

- Reduce the frame rate at which the camera is sending video. 5-10fps is normally sufficient for general-purpose video surveillance.

- Make sure the camera's video encoding quality or bit rate is not set too high. Try a medium setting first, and increase a bit if you feel you need a higher quality stream after looking at the live video. Use VBR encoding instead of CBR encoding, if this option is available for your camera.

- When using wired Ethernet, make sure to use a high-quality Gigabit switch. Avoid using the Ethernet ports built into routers to connect devices together; these often don't work well.

- Make sure your cameras are running the latest firmware available from the manufacturer.

- Make sure you are using the latest version of SecuritySpy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!