Continuous recording glitches
  • Hi,
    I have noticed a customers continuous recording in 10min blocks sometimes goes off pattern, and over a short period of around 10-15 mins produces random short files, always missing small chunks if time, them reverts back to the set 10min files again. This seems to happen at different times in the day, and not every day.

I then checked my own, and sure enough mine does it too. I cannot seem to find any common reason why this would happen.
    Is this a security spy bug, or is it a Mac issue? Have others seen this?

The worry for me, is I promote SS as a security solution when fitting security hardware, but if it misses small chunks of time, it’s only a matter of time when the missing data will become important and key footage is lost.
  • Just a quick update to this, after further investigation the random video loss is only happening on one system, but I would be interested to see if anyone else has seen this as it happened again yesterday.
  • The most likely reason I can think of to cause this is if the network connection to the camera is unreliable, so the camera is continuously disconnecting and connecting again. This will interrupt the recording, leading to many smaller files, and gaps between the files when the camera is offline.

Check the log (File menu -> Open log) to see if there are frequent disconnection issues for this camera.

Is this camera on WiFi? This can be unreliable, so could explain the issue. If possible, connect the camera by wired Ethernet. Also, make sure the camera is running the latest firmware available from the manufacturer.

Another test: turn on the "daily statistics" reports under Preferences -> General, and at the end of each day you get an email with various information. What does it report as the uptime of this particular camera?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!