SS TVOS App—SuperCool!
  • I didn't realize that SS has an Apple TV app this is supercool and makes me want to fully commit to SS. I was lurking on the fringes of SS society until now—thanks Ben!

Robert
  • Great to hear that - thanks Robert!
  • Feature request on this.. (unless it’s already there and I’ve missed it): the ability to move from full screen mode to actual size mode..move got a few cameras that are mounted at 90° giving a very tall and narrow image. When I view on the apple tv it zooms in the image to make the image full screen but crops out the top and bottom of it.
  • Currently there is no way to change the default aspect ratio for viewing cameras on the AppleTV app. There is such a setting in our iOS app, but because settings are a relatively new thing on tvOS, this didn't make it into the last release of the app. We'll see if we can add this for the next release (which we are working on now).
  • Would it be possible to allow the configuration of the tvOS app to do a portrait mode?

We run a number of TVs hung in portrait orientation. At the moment use Android TV boxes configured for portrait, but would prefer to switch to an AppleTV app. Unfortunately tvOS doesn't seem to have a option to do this itself.
  • Hi @sevenone - sorry, this wouldn't work unless there is native support in tvOS for portrait orientation. Maybe Apple will support this at some point, or they may consider this setup too unusual and not worth implementing.
  • I've been using it for about 2 weeks and have found it to be virtually unusable. Everything works great at first, but inevitably, the live feed from a camera will freeze and display a red X in the middle of the screen. It does not automatically recover from this. I can switch the display to another camera and back again - this resolves it, until it happens again. might work for an hour or two, but not continuously, unattended.

cycling in multiplex does kind of fix the problem, as it does the same as if I were to manually switch streams. but leaving it on one stream is delicate and needs babysitting.
  • Hi @dalenorman2005 - could you please tell us what device you are using - iPhone or Apple TV?
  • it's a 4th generation appleTV running tvOS 11.1. SS server is a Mac mini running SS 4.2 and Mac OS X HighSierra 10.13.1.

It not terribly uncommon for the SS server itself to briefly loose contact with a camera. It runs 3 cameras and displays them on it's monitor 24x7. lets say a few times per day, one camera will blank-out for perhaps 5 seconds. SS always reconnects to the stream on it's own.

Not sure if the appleTV is loosing its connection to a camera at the same time as the SS server is or not - I suspect it is, but can't catch it red-handed as they are in different rooms.

It seems SS is very good at reestablishing contact with a camera, while the appleTV app is not.
  • Several months ago I installed the SS app for AppleTV and I was able to view my camera server. Now when I click on the SS app I see an entry on the right side of the app that says "Discovered". Beneath this is an entry "SecuritySpy Web server". When I click on this I get the"connection failed" message. I tried to add my server by clicking the "+" button. This allows me to enter all of the necessary address information but it does not allow me to enter username or password. This new entry also fails to connect. I suspect this is because there is no way to enter username and password. Is there a way to fix this?
  • I've figured out the problem. I had recently installed a software firewall that did not allow traffic over port 8000. When this was finally recognized and fixed I am now able to connect via AppleTV. However, I have to enter the username and password each time I open the app. I don't remember this being the case before.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!