Recordings using .mov vs .m4v formats
  • Hi,

I have been "tuning" my system to get the best CPU performance for my 8 camera system. The Camera Info window has been priceless in figuring out how much CPU each camera is using.

Anyhow, in changing things around, I have found that some configuration record motion movies in .mov and others in .m4v.

The only reason the .mov format is a concern, is I cannot get the HD play back using a browser (Safari/Chrome). I get an error saying I need a plug-in. This does not happen if in the .m4v format.

Directionally, if the camera is streaming video via using JPEG it uses the .mov format. If I select recompress the data, then it saves the video in .m4v. The H.264 appears to be saved in the .m4v format. With the exception of one of my dlink cameras that is using H.264. Not really sure why that is (the exception). But recompression puts it into .m4v just like the JPEG ones.

I don't like the recompression option because it drives the CPU utilization way up.

Not sure there is a fix request vs just trying to understand why everything is not saved in the .m4v format. My assumption is .mov OR .m4v is the nature of the streamed data and if using recompression SecuritySpy defaults to .m4v.

Hope this makes sense.

Eric
  • Hi Eric,

This FAQ will explain the difference: Why can't I play back captured files in a web browser?.

The ideal situation is for your cameras to be streaming H.264 video data to SecuritySpy (and AAC audio data if audio is present), and to get SecuritySpy to record this data directly to the captured files - this results in .m4v files.

If your cameras are not capable of H.264 streaming, you will have to get SecuritySpy to recompress to H.264 if you want .m4v files, however this is undesirable because it lowers quality and uses CPU resources. For any such camera, I would suggest making sure its frame rate is low so as not to burden the Mac's CPU too much (you may also like to consider replacing any such camera with a more modern model that can stream H.264).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!