Connection error Macbook SS over internet
  • Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and maybe my question was asked earlier but I cannot find an answer. I have setup SS on my iMac using the auto-discovered option and added my 4 Foscam C2 camera's without problem. I can use Spyglass to view my camera's on my iPhone over the internet. So far so good.

Now I want to add SS to my Macbook (view only) but I can't get this to work. I would like to add the camera's with their no-ip ddns name and corresponding HTTP(S) ports (camera-name.ddns.net:port). I have changed the standard HTTP(S) ports to ports in the 2000 range and forwarded them correctly on my router (it works with other apps on my iPhone). The ONVIF and RTSP have not been changed on any camera. But wathever combination and settings (profile-format) I try, I either get an timed-out message or an IP-error. I tried connecting through the viewcam.me option but this that doesn't worh either. It doesn't show any streams. I'm out of options now. Could it have something to do with the ONVIF and RTSP ports (I cannot forward the standard (888-554) ports on my netgear router and should change them on all camera's to forward them seperately if needed)?

Any answer is appreciated. Thanks!
  • Personally to view outside the house, I either use iOS app (Spyglass in the past, now the SecuritySpy app), or web browser (https) on another computer.
    Trying to stream several 2MP cameras over a typical internet connection is not going to work well (it can be a problem over wifi if the signal isn't strong, and that is on the same local network)

I would guess that it is a problem with port being blocked, if you really are set on doing this - on the Foscam cameras, you can change the ONVIF and I believe RTSP ports in the settings, so you should be able to change it to something over 1024 that you can then forward through the router.
  • Most cameras use a different port for ONVIF communication vs. RTSP communication, so if you have only forwarded one of these, you will have problems when connecting over the Internet and attempting to use the ONVIF profile. When connecting to the camera over a local network, SecuritySpy will auto-discover both these ports, however this isn't possible when connecting to the camera over the Internet.

What I would suggest is to forward just the RTSP port (camera's port 554, but can be any external port of your choosing in the port forwarding rule), and then use the "Foscam H.264" profile in the viewing instance of SecuritySpy when setting up the camera. When using the Foscam H.264 profile, SecuritySpy just needs access to the camera's RTSP port only.

If instead you want to use the ONVIF profile, you will have to forward both the camera's ONVIF port (888) and the camera's RTSP port (554) and then manually enter both these ports when you set up the camera in the Preferences -> Cameras -> Device window in the viewing instance of SecuritySpy.

The third option is to simply set up this external instance of SecuritySpy to connect to your main SecuritySpy iMac in order to obtain the streams for all cameras (see SecuritySpy as remote viewing software). If you can already view SecuritySpy from the Internet, then you have done all the setup necessary already, so no additional router settings are required. However this does put additional load on your main SecuritySpy server.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!