Skip to content

Error -8969 - Bad Data

edited June 2016 in SecuritySpy
I'm using SS 4 as a client to view a SS 4 server and I am getting several cameras with "(Failed to decompress incoming video frame 22185,-8969 Image data decompression failed - bad data)". It constantly pops up for several cameras. Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• This problem should be fixed by updating both SecuritySpy instances on your Macs to the latest version of SecuritySpy (currently 4.0.1).
  • I'm still seeing it on 4.0.1
  • Hi Jay, are you seeing this message on the client or on the server, or both? What is the "Format" setting you are using on the client? You'll find this in Preferences -> Cameras -> Setup.
  • jayjay
    edited June 2016
    The client and RTSP TCP

And if the error is triggered, it no longer sends motion emails.

jay
  • I'm definitely still getting the same errors with 4.0.1 on both server and client machine. I've used h.264 over HTTP, H.264 over RTSP, and JPEG, to no avail.
  • Please could you try the new SecuritySpy update (currently 4.0.2) and let us know if you are still seeing this problem? Thanks.
  • Yep i still see it with 4.0.2
    Error from camera "Garden", it will be closed. (Failed to decompress incoming video frame 22185,-8969 Image data decompression failed - bad data)

Error from camera "Garden", it will be closed. (Failed to decompress incoming video frame 22185,-8969 Image data decompression failed - bad data)

• Me too

Jay
  • On this version we are back to the green screen of death on Hikvision camera's where SS will never reconnect to the camera without a restart.

The following is reported, non of which looking at system usage seems to be true, this renders the application unusable as I will now slowly loose connections to every camera.
    I will have to downgrade to an old version.

06/07/2016 16:50:13: Error communicating with the network device "Garden". 4.0.2,10,835 Excessive packet loss from network device, the network may be too slow or defective, or this computer may be overloaded. Check the network and/or reduce this camera's frame rate.
  • I've reverted back to 4.0.2b5 for a stable feed.
  • I've had green screens with Hikvision cameras, but I've learned that Hikvision has a feature that introduces incompatibility in the H.264 codec.

See if you have an option called SVC inside the Hikvision video settings. Make sure it is set to off.

I'm using 7 Hikvision cameras with SecuritySpy 4.0.2 and my setup performs perfectly.

I'm not sure about the other posters, as you (yetirider) are the only one who mentions a green screen and a Hikvision camera.
  • SVC is off on both cams.
  • yetirider, if I understood correctly, a green frame is SecuritySpy receiving incompatible or corrupt data. So I think the solution to your problem lies outside of SecuritySpy.

Which Hikvision models are you using, and which firmware version are they on.
    Is your network wired or wireless ?

It's odd that you are seeing such differences in minor version numbers. You mention that 4.0.2b5 seems to work more or less fine, while the actual released 4.0.2 does not.

With the introduction of SecuritySpy 4, all video handling is handed off to a different system process (XPCservice...), it's an Apple framework and I don't think it has changed between beta SS4b5 and SS4.

Could you also verify your captured video with beta5, where you are not seeing the green frames, that perhaps instead of a green frame, you are seeing a freeze frame ?
  • I'm currently away from home for a few weeks, will continue once I,m back, but for now I have full access via remote patrol. It's strange all other methods, live vice, livecams pro etc show no dropped frames, it's all on an Ethernet network and nothing an the Mac seems stressed.
  • I can't even figure how to determine which version is installed. I do know it is version4. Something. I am getting the same error codes.
  • Just found it Version 4.03. Still Causing error 8969
  • I am also noting the fps keep changing. I should be able to set this to a constant in the live view, but don't see that as well.
  • I have SS 4.0.5 and constantly getting "Failed to decompress incoming video frame 22185,-8969 Image data decompression failed - bad data"
    I see on Activity Monitor that SS launches VTDecoderXPService that takes 80-95% of CPU.
    Maybe it has something to do with it?
    I'm running Yosemite V10.10.5

• Hi Bulent, this error means that SecuritySpy could not decode the incoming video from one of your cameras.

Firstly, please download and install the latest version of SecuritySpy.

Also check for firmware updates for your cameras.

If this doesn't fix it, have a look at how the camera(s) in question are connected to your Mac. Ideally you want them to be connected by wired ethernet, but if that isn't possible make sure the WiFi signal is strong. You could also try to reduce the frame rate at which the camera is sending video.