Skip to content

Video Device Quality affects actual frame rate even with "No recompression of data" Checked

edited January 2016 in SecuritySpy
Hi, the subject says it all! I have an Axis P3367VE and previously had a decent frame rate, even with 5mp setting. I had tweaked the streams quite a bit and may have over done it. To the point I was only able to get 1FPS. Two other 3mp IP cameras were giving me 18-20FPS.

Long story short, per Axis support, I did a factory restore and the frame rate bumped up to 4-6FPS. Better, but still not good enough. They also asked me about configuration in my VMS and sure enough, when I set the Quality to Default, the frame rate varies in bursts from 7 to 12. every few seconds. Much better. The one point that may be of interest to everyone is that "No recompression of dat from this device" was checked. In fact, checking between other IP devices, I was surprised I even had the option to change the quality and frame rate with that checked.

Just relating my experience, although it would be nice to have is consistently record the maximum 12FPS. I don't see any other configuration settings in Security Spy that might help smooth things out. I'll circle back with Axis.

Best,
Mike

Comments

• Hi Mike,

If you have set the "no recompression" option (which you should do for the best quality and performance), then the video compression settings in the Compression Settings window in SecuritySpy will not have any impact on the camera's video stream whatsoever.

However, the settings in the Video Device Settings window will have an effect, because these settings are used to determine what kind of stream is requested from the device. For Axis H.264 cameras, you do have the option here to specify the stream resolution, quality and frame rate. Are these the controls you are referring to?

What you are describing could be a network bandwidth issue. At 5 MP, the camera's resolution is very high, so if you are also choosing a high compression quality and frame rate then the bandwidth requirements are going to be quite high, and you need to make sure that your network is capable of comfortably transferring the stream, otherwise the camera is going to cut back on its frame rate to avoid its buffers filling up. So ideally you will want both the camera and your Mac connected by wired ethernet to a Gigabit switch - is this the case?
  • Hi Ben

Yes, moving the Quality and Frame rate settings under the Video Device panel off of Default seemed to slow the record rate down.

Yep, using a Cisco SG300-10p Gigabit switch.

Spoke with Axis and they pointed out that I was receiving good frame rates from the web gui viewer (max 12FPS). It is possibly Security Spy processing other cams, including two 3mp IPS and 3 analogs with overlays.

Pretty happy with things at the moment, I'm getting a consistent 12FPS out of the Axis for now.

Thanks for the help!