Skip to content

Remote Patrol local Problem

edited June 2015 in SecuritySpy
Ok, this seems to be my week of problems after 2 weeks of business travel. Bear with me on the explanation. I have some old generation iPad's that have been relegated to the new task of being home automation remotes and digital picture frames, which I like versus sitting in a drawer. Occasionally, if I'm waiting on someone, I'll run Remote Patrol and leave the screen up to help me know when someone is pulling up.

Ok, so I recently upgraded to Comcast X1 100Mb service and was having a bear with their port forwarding (DOCSIS modem issue not retaining the port/ip address), but figured it out (hopefully) and Remote Patrol has been working fine...remotely...but I can't run Remote Patrol and see the server on my LAN. I know it has to be something I am doing wrong, but I'm blanking here. I sent an email to the Remote Patrol link, but no response.

BTW, Comcast puts a 300Gb limit on your service, which sucks if you're doing anything with cloud backup, or yes...video remote interaction. I've been trying to get my local backup pushed offsite using Crashplan and hitting their limit. May have to pay more and go to their business class of service to get away from the limit. Comcast is the pits...here's all this speed and capability and we're going to limit your usage to effectively minimize it's value.

Comments

• What's probably happening is that Remote Patrol is trying to access SecuritySpy from its internet address, from within your local network. This is a special case which requires the router to support a feature called "loopback", where it recognises that a LAN device is attempting to contact another LAN device via the external IP and port forwarding rules, and will route accordingly. It sounds like your router does not have this feature.

In Remote Patrol you have the option to add two addresses: one local and one internet. Under "Address", make sure to enter the SecuritySpy Mac's local IP address, whereas for the "DDNS" setting, enter the internet address (you can set up a Dynamic DNS name for this in the Web Server Settings window in SecuritySpy).

Remote Patrol should then connect to the appropriate address, depending on whether you are within the network or outside it.

Or, if the above isn't working for you, create two server instances in Remote Patrol: one using the local IP and one using the internet address, and use the one appropriate to your location to connect.
  • Ben, you are the best and I love your support and try to evangelize SecuritySpy to others.

I couldn't make your suggestion work with the 2 addresses in the same server, as it seemed to have a conflict with which one to choose. I was successful in creating 2 servers and using the DDNS on 1 and the local IP address on the other. Thanks for the tip.
  • No problem, happy to help - many thanks for spreading the word about SecuritySpy!

We'll do some testing here with the double-address thing and if there are any improvements that need to be made we'll work with the developer of Remote Patrol to get them implemented.