anyone try Ubiquity cameras
  • Ubiquity networks has some great wireless devices (wifi and bridges). I noticed they have some cameras and their own nvr. We have standardized on SecuritySpy NVR, but the unibiquity cameras look like a nice fit. https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-video/unifi-video-camera/ Has anyone tried these with SecuritySpy yet?
  • The older Ubiquiti "airCam" range does work with SecuritySpy as they support standard streaming protocols such as RTSP. Unfortunately however, the new "UniFi" range does not. Typically, manufacturers do this in order to create closed systems that require customers to the manufacturer's own NVR hardware, rather than working with third-party NVR software such as SecuritySpy. This is disappointing, as the cameras otherwise appear to be capable devices, and I'm sure that Ubiquiti will be missing out on many camera sales that they would otherwise get, if the cameras were to work with third-party software.

We were in touch with Ubiquiti a few months ago about this, and they replied that they "cannot comment" about third-party support via RTSP, so we're not hopeful that this will ever be implemented. We recommend any customers interested in this to email Ubiquiti customer support to request that they enable RTSP streaming in their UniFi cameras, so that they can be used with third-party software such as SecuritySpy.
  • Sent a request to UBNT, here is the response:

FAST too! :)

--------------------------------------

Allan S. (Ubiquiti Networks)
    Aug 6, 20:28

Hi Korey,

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

Yes, RTSP still works with our cameras, please visit this link:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Video-Frequently-Asked/airVision-How-to-stream-RTSP-feed-directly-from-an-airCam-device/ta-p/467101

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Video-Blog/New-Feature-RTSP-Retranslation-of-Video-Channels-via-Controller/ba-p/1041467

Hope that's helpful. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Thanks!

Allan S.
    Ubiquiti Networks

Korey Sherwin
    Aug 6, 20:14

Can you please add RTSP streaming to your unify cameras?

I have an Edge router a many Unifi access points and would like to utilize your cameras as well, but I already have an significant investment in Security spy with my home automation server Indigo.

Thank you for your consideration.
  • Hi Korey - thanks for emailing them and posting the response!

The first link describes how to obtain a RTSP stream from an older airVision camera - this works well and has done since these cameras were released, hence they are on our list of supported cameras.

However the second link does not describe how to obtain an RTSP stream from a newer uniFi camera, because this is currently not possible (i.e. intentionally disabled by Ubiquiti). Instead, it describes how to use their controller software to output a RTSP stream, which requires you to install their software. So the video would be going from the camera to their software and then to SecuritySpy. While this does work, it's cumbersome and uses extra CPU time on the Mac, so it's not the same as the camera itself supporting RTSP.

This is why we don't include the uniFi cameras on our list. It would be much better if Ubiquiti were to implement RTSP streaming directly in the camera itself, so that there would be no requirement for "retranslation" of the video stream through their software.
  • Thanks Ben.

That sucks!
  • The newest firmware for the Unifi cameras does support RSTP, and I've been able to get that working via manual definition.
  • Any chance you could share your manual connection.details. I've tried the rtsp://"camera ip no '':554/s0 command but just can't seem to get it working.
    If you plug that command into a web browser it works fine.
  • Anyone else get this to work? connection details?
  • This does look promising, according to that page, the setup in SecuritySpy would be:

- In the Cameras section of the Preferences window, create a new network device.
    - Under the Device tab, set the device type to "Manual configuration”.
    - Enter the camera's IP address but leave the Port fields empty.
    - Enter the camera’s username and password
    - Select "RTSP TCP” from the Format menu.
    - Enter s0 as the Request

You'll also have to set it to "standalone" mode, as per the instructions in the link provided by @geekbstrd above, so that you can see the RTSP URL in the camera's interface.

Does this work?
  • Yes all is good. My Unifi Video camera Pro ( v2 ) is working fine with the instructions Ben gave.
    All we now need is to get the zoom function up and its a goer.
    BTW. the quality of these cameras is very good.
  • @stublight

How are these cameras working out? I'm thinking of buying a few. I'm really tired of the way my Dahua and Hikvision cameras are not supported well (webui requires Windows IE, no support for SSH keys, no patches for SSL vulnerabilities, etc) and am thinking of switching camera brands.
  • @jms703

i had 6 of these cameras initially but could never get them working in SS so i sent 5 of them back. The one i did keep (v2 not the new v3 ) works perfectly with instructions given above by Ben. However the model i have has optical zoom for which there is no way of activating it with the PTZ function in SS. ( Ben ??? ) The quality is very very good though and they are built like tanks.
    I also have Dahua and Hikvision cameras. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL you purchased original brand not Chinese knockoff's that are all over the web and in most retail places. The Chinese versions will give you no end of grief, these include but not always - green screens, dropped frames , ghosting & if you upgrade the firmware will almost certainly render them useless.
    If you want real quality and can afford them go Mobotix.
  • I have been running a Ubiquiti Unifi G3 Dome camera along side my old analogue cameras for three months now with no problems. In fact the massively increased resolution and mic have already been useful. I have bought another 15 of these cameras and will gradually replace all my cameras when I get the time.
  • Just a note to say that my new Ubiquiti UVC-G3 works perfectly in Security spy using the instructions in this thread for manual configuration!

Ben - Perhaps the next version of SS can have a profile for the camera so manual configuration would not be necessary?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!