Skip to content

Some cameras continue motion recording but two stop during busy period?

edited March 2015 in SecuritySpy
Greetings! We have five cameras running in SS and all has been great. Earlier this week during a busy event with lots of activity, we noticed motion-based recordings for just two cameras stopped suddenly at 8:50pm and started again at 12:12am. The other three cameras had motion-based recordings continuously throughout this period. And the two in question had many recordings prior and after the "blackout."

I checked and no schedule is setup for any camera, it is round the clock motion-based recording for all. We have hundreds of GB of free hard drive space. I checked the SS error log and no errors communicating with the affected cameras. The Mac Pro is locked inside a cabinet and I don't believe any one has physical access to make cameras active or not. I do have a couple Remote Patrol remote viewing clients out there but I don't think they would have remotely changed the Active setting of these cameras.

Pretty strange, huh? Any things I could look at? Thank you for your attention.

Comments

• Hi,

There are three main reasons why a camera would stop recording: someone set it to Passive mode manually, or it's on a schedule to go to Passive mode at certain times, or there was an error that prevented recording. Other reasons could be a power cut or lighting failure, or simply a lack of motion to record. It sounds like you have checked for errors already, but if you would like us to have a look over your error log, please email it to us, let us know the day and cameras in question, and we'll check it.

If you have the "Write log file" web server option turned on, you could check this log for evidence of anyone switching the cameras to Passive mode via the web interface (this could have been done by accident perhaps).

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks, Ben. Got it, will do. We do have the "Write log file" web server option turned on. Is there just one log, the "error log," or if not where would I find the log about Passive Mode changes?
  • The log of web connections is separate from the error log - it's called WebLog.txt and you'll find it in the ~/Documents/SecuritySpy/Web/ folder (within your user directory). The request to set a camera to Passive mode is ssControlPassiveMode and the corresponding request to set a camera to Active mode is ssControlActiveMode.

Hope this helps.