Skip to content

Having to format computer: Can I save the SS settings?

edited January 2019 in SecuritySpy
I upgrade a MacPro TrashCan with five cameras running on it to Mojave. I am not sure what is going on but at some point over the past few weeks, Security Spy has started locking up, becoming unresponsive and fails to record video. I have tried everything I know to do before I format and reinstall fresh.

I was hoping there is a way to save the settings so I don't have to set SS back up from Scratch. Is there a file or folder I can save that would do this?

Comments

• BenBen
    edited January 2023
    Yes, there is a way to save settings - please see this FAQ: How do I move SecuritySpy from one computer to another, retaining all settings?.

Please report back and let me know if the re-install resolves this problem or not.
  • I reinstalled Mojave over Mojave and it will go about a day to day and a half before it stops working.

These are the errors found in the Log.txt file. I have five total cameras on this setup. We are going to switch out the POE switch today. Until then, I have set the MacPro to restart everyday at midnight.

Error communicating with the network device "Outdoor 1". 4.2.9,70900,800 Failed to obtain video frame from network device. The operation timed out.

Error communicating with the network device "Outdoor 2". 4.2.9,70900,800 Failed to obtain video frame from network device. The operation timed out.

Error communicating with the network device "Outdoor 3". 4.2.9,70900,800 Failed to obtain video frame from network device. The operation timed out.

Error communicating with the network device "Outdoor 4". 4.2.9,70900,800 Failed to obtain video frame from network device. The operation timed out.

Error communicating with the network device "Outdoor 5". 4.2.9,70900,800 Failed to obtain video frame from network device. The operation timed out.
  • Timeout errors are typically due to the network (cable, switch, WiFi reception etc.). What is your network layout? Ideally, you would have both the Mac Pro and the cameras wired into a high-quality Gigabit switch via Ethernet - is this the case?

When you say "stops working", what exactly do you mean?
  • edited January 2019
    We swapped a new switch in yesterday. Today the problems came back like normal. I am going to move back to Sierra (maybe High Sierra) next.

SS becomes unresponsive. Video recording is set to record continuous in hourly segments and on motion. The hourly recordings eventually stop happening and the motions are cut short or missing. Web access to SS eventually fails. All of this starts happening within 18 hours of a reboot. I have it set to reboot every morning at 5 am until I get to the site and reinstall. This helps minimize outages during important times.

It's an 8 Core Mac Pro (Trash Can) with 16GB of RAM running five Axis cameras. Everything was fine until Mavericks. I have another MacPro on High Sierra running 20+ cameras and no issues. I will not be upgrading it anytime soon and if I do I will keep an image backed up so I can go back much easier than reinstalling Sierra.

Is there any type of log file you want before I wipe this computer and go back?
  • When I said Mavericks above, I meant Mojave. I drive to the site and wiped it. Installed Sierra. I will report back how it runs.
  • Everything is working fine on Sierra.
  • Sorry to hear you've had problems with this, and I'm glad that things are working well on Sierra. I'm not sure what your problem could have been caused by - we have many users running on Mojave with no issues, and we ourselves have been unable to reproduce this. Please get in touch if you have any problems in the future.
  • Just to add to this, I also have been having SS become unresponsive (lock up computer) with last update (v4.2.9) and Mojave. Running 4 wireless IP cameras on a 2012 4-core mac mini; never had a problem before. For the time being I just disabled SS awaiting a new update to see if that will fix the problem.