Skip to content

Remote access using dual routers

edited February 2020 in SecuritySpy
I’m unable to connect remotely to my SecuritySpy server.
I’m using dual routers that are connected in series between the modem & server. Each router are using a different network i.e. router 1 uses 192.168.1.1 & router 2 uses 10.0.1.1.
I have made several unsuccessful attempts to setup port forwarding on both routers.

Does anyone know what needs to be done to overcome this challenge.

Comments

• Further to this I need to maintain two seperate internal networks for security reasons.
    The LAN address for router one is 192.168.1.1
    The wan address for router two is 192.168.1.50 & Lan address is 10.0.1.1 (connected to Mac securityspy server)
    I have a third router connected to router one with wan address 192.168.1.60 & lan address 10.0.2.1.

I use computer sharing on the 10.0.1.1 network to view the SecuritySpy server on a different Mac, hence I can’t connect the SecuritySpy server to router 1.
  • This dual-NAT setup is not ideal, and requires manual configuration of both routers to allow incoming connections from the Internet to any device behind the second router. The best solution here would be to set one of the routers to “bridge mode”. This turns off NAT in that router, and in that case SecuritySpy should be able to set up access from the internet automatically without any manual configuration.

If, for any reason, you don’t want to do this, then the procedure to set this up manually is as follows:

- Assign the Mac running SecuritySpy a static IP address on its network (10.0.1.x).

- Assign router 2 a static WAN IP address on It’s network (192.168.1.x)

- Set up manual port forwarding in router 1 to forward ports 8000/8001 to router 2

- Set up manual port forwarding in router 2 to forward ports 8000/8001 to the Mac.

This configuration has to be just right for this work correctly and reliably, so I would strongly recommend you switch your network to single-NAT by setting one of the routers to bridge mode, if possible.
  • Thanks, I’m pretty sure that this is what I have done, but I will re-check.

I can not do the bridge version.
  • If you are looking for a more complete isolation and access solution, I have a tutorial on using a Ubiquity EdgeRouter X at https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/ubiquity-edgerouter-x-configuring-to-isolate-surveillance-networks.45038/
  • Another option is to use a tunnelling service such as ngrok - described on our blog post here: Remote Access via Mobile/Cellular or Satellite Internet Connection.
  • Ben
    It has been a year now and I have decided to revisit my inability to remotely connect to my SecuritySpy camera's on my network via my two router configuration. I followed your instruction above by setting up port forwarding for both routers and set-up static IP addresses, but I have had no success.

Are you able to provide any further advise and maybe screenshots on what else I can try.
  • Hi @Eagleye if you can email us and include screenshots of all relevant settings, we'll look these over and let you know if we spot any problems. Please include screenshots of the Web settings in SecuritySpy, the Mac's IP settings, and both routers' port forwarding and WAN and LAN IP settings.