Skip to content

Can't get adding SS cameras to Homebridge to work

Hi @Ben followed your instructions to the 'T' from your new blog post, but can't seem to get it to work

The cameras show up in the Home app, but they just show 'no response' with a little camera image having a line through it

If I Homebridge UI open at the time, these are the errors I'm seeing

Any suggestions? Thank you

[Front Yard] Snapshot request handler provided empty image buffer!

[8/4/2022, 6:22:51 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Pool] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[Pool] Snapshot request handler provided empty image buffer!

[8/4/2022, 6:22:51 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Side] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[Side] Snapshot request handler provided empty image buffer!

[8/4/2022, 6:22:52 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Family Room] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[Family Room] Snapshot request handler provided empty image buffer!

[8/4/2022, 6:22:52 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Frontdoor] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[Frontdoor] Snapshot request handler provided empty image buffer!

[8/4/2022, 6:22:52 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Front Yard] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[8/4/2022, 6:22:53 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Pool] Starting video stream: 1280 x 720, 30 fps, 299 kbps

[8/4/2022, 6:22:53 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Pool] FFmpeg exited with code: 1 and signal: null (Error)

[8/4/2022, 6:22:53 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Pool] Stopped video stream.

[8/4/2022, 6:23:01 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Front Yard] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[8/4/2022, 6:23:01 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Frontdoor] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[8/4/2022, 6:23:01 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Side] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[Side] Snapshot request handler provided empty image buffer!

[8/4/2022, 6:23:01 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Family Room] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[8/4/2022, 6:23:02 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Pool] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[Pool] Snapshot request handler provided empty image buffer!

[8/4/2022, 6:23:02 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Frontdoor] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[8/4/2022, 6:23:03 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Driveway] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[Driveway] Snapshot request handler provided empty image buffer!

[8/4/2022, 6:23:11 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Front Yard] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[8/4/2022, 6:23:11 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Family Room] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[8/4/2022, 6:23:13 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Frontdoor] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[8/4/2022, 6:23:13 PM] [Camera FFmpeg] [Driveway] Failed to fetch snapshot.

[Driveway] Snapshot request handler provided empty image buffer!

Comments

• By the way, I did have to provide ffmpeg security access through the System Preferences pane separately to allow it to run

• There seems to be something wrong with the URLs - if you copy that snapshot URL and paste it into Safari, what is shown there? It should be a JPEG image - if not, the error returned may be instructive.

Did you make sure to leave the "-i" prefix before the URLs as provided to the plugin?

Did you enable the audio feature? This should be turned off.

In terms of allowing ffmpeg to run, exactly what section in the System Preferences is this under? If you can post a screenshot of this it would be very helpful, it sounds like we need to add this info to the blog post.

• confirming need to allow the ffmpeg permission to run. it's under Preferences - security & privacy pane. need to allow ffmpeg to run since it's not signed from App Store.

• observation - it's going to take me awhile to add my 16 cameras.... anyone with ideas besides copy/paste config sections and swap out URLs?

• @Ben

Couple of things, my first read of the instructions didn't seem to make clear that the '-i' needs to be left in place...I had just copied and pasted the URL from SS into the address field in Homebridge

I subsequently added the '-i' and that got things working, but Safari seems to autocorrect those to '-I' and I couldn't get it to not do that...I had to save the settings that way and then go back in to settings and change and save, then it stuck

Also, I was offered the option to make the setup a 'child bridge' - so I tried that but the cameras didn't show up, so I reverted to regular bridge and then the cameras showed up

The snapshot url works when copied into Safari, but once I got things running (see the '-i') issue above, Homebridge still returns errors regarding the snapshots when accessing the cameras through Home, but the cameras work

The video feeds are quite pixelated in Home app but look just fine in the SS app - I'm not on my home network right now, so maybe that has to do with accessing from the internet rather than intranet

The ffmpeg issue - I can't send a screenshot now b/c I fixed the issue by allowing access in the security and privacy pane

But, this is what I had to do from this link: Open a Mac app from an unidentified developer – Apple Support (AU)

"Note: You can also grant an exception for a blocked app by clicking the Open Anyway button in the General pane of Security & Privacy preferences. This button is available for about an hour after you try to open the app.

To change these preferences on your Mac, choose Apple menu 

> System Preferences, click Security & Privacy , then click General."