Camera drop outs/disconnect logging
  • Does anyone know if its possible to log camera drop outs / disconnects. My network has been a bit unstable since getting a new router but without constantly watching my cameras I'm unable to tell if I'm losing connections at any time?

Thanks in advance,

Rich
  • Hi Rich,

The best way to check for this is via SecuritySpy's Dashboard feature. Set the "Smoothing" setting to zero, and view the "Incoming data rate" graph for each camera in turn. If you see this plummet to zero at any point, this means that the camera is offline.

I'm not sure what your network setup is, but the best layout is to have a central high-quality gigabit Ethernet switch (e.g. Netgear, TP-LINK, Ubiquiti), with all devices connecting into this switch with wired Ethernet, including the router. Therefore the route from the cameras to the Mac doesn't go via the router, and changing the router should not have an impact on the reliability of the camera connections.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!