New WiFi 6 Router and not seeing cameras
  • I replaced a defunct Linksys EA8300 with a NETGEAR Nighthawk 6-Stream AX5400 WiFi 6 Router. I have all Wyzecam cameras flashed to RSTP and have been using them for over 3 years with Security Spy on my computer.
    Every thing on my network, including the cameras came right back up after the switch.
    The only thing that won't work is my SecuritySpy with these cameras. I have double and triple checked every setting on the cameras and SecuritySpy.
    I am needing some help here.
    Please give me some ideas.
    Thanks in advance.
  • I'm afraid there's not enough information here to diagnose the problem. We would ideally need to know what errors you are seeing in SecuritySpy. My guess would be that the cameras now have new IP addresses perhaps, and SecuritySpy is still set to use the old addresses, but it's difficult to know at this point. In order for us to help you, please email us and include the following:

- A debug file (SecuritySpy menu > Debug submenu > Create Debug File On Desktop)
    - The error log (File menu > Open Log)
  • I feel really stupid. I have found the problem.
    The cameras were all on my WiFi 5G and my computer was on regular Wifi.
    I don't understand the mechanics. I didn't know it made a difference, since everything goes through the same router. I just thought everything could talk to each other. I was wrong.
  • Do you mean the cameras were on the 5 GHz band and the computer was on the 2.4 GHz band? This shouldn't be an issue - the network should be functionally the same. However there may be some strangeness with this particular router.

In general, I would recommend connecting as many devices as possible by wired Ethernet instead of WiFi. At a minimum, your Mac should be connected by wired Ethernet (i.e. into a port on your router, assuming you don't have another switch on your network), even if the cameras can't be.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!