Skip to content

PTZ Presets keep resetting

edited October 2019 in SecuritySpy
Anyone else having problems with their PTZ presets resetting after a few days? I assign all the positions in the PTZ drawer but they become completely unresponsive after a few days.

Comments

• BenBen
    edited February 2022
    The way the presets work is that SecuritySpy issues commands such as "save current position as preset 1" and "go to preset 1"; the actual movement and locations of the presets are the camera's responsibility to perform, store and recall. So if these are being forgotten after a few days, then I'm afraid it's the camera's fault.

The first thing to do would be to check for updated firmware from the manufacturer of your camera. If this doesn't fix it, it might be worth contacting the manufacturer to see what they suggest.
  • Hmmm, its a very strange thing. The camera retains the original settings from before I even purchased and started using SecuritySpy. The camera's firmware is up to date... It is a cheapo chinese camera though, so unreliability I guess should be expected.

Thanks for your reply.
  • Just a thought; maybe SecuritySpy sets the PTZ positions but my camera stores it to a cache or something? As I said, the original camera PTZ settings are still there and work fine... they are in fact different than the ones I have set since. Its strange that they don't revert to at least those positions rather than just becoming completely unresponsive. Conflict detection or something? Gremlins?
  • I've had a few problems with PTZ memory as well. It had stopped working when I installed Catalina and now has started working again - probably after an update. I have a Reolink camera.

• Tad late to the party, but here goes...

Had same issue (preset drift) on an exterior dome camera last winter (Michigan, 2020-2021) and seemed to be temperature related. Not so!... rearranged the setup so long cable switch-to-injector & short cable injector-to-camera (& different cables). Fine all summer and this winter (2021-2022 to date)... no issues with temps to 0F and below.

It gets more interesting: other exterior dome developed same symptom (preset drift)... replaced a cable (random of 4) and issue disappeared.

Seems PTZ may be cable-sensitive... All cables are Cat6. Much easier / cheaper solution than unwarranted camera warranty exchange or new / replacement camera.

• I have a wireless PTZ camera hooked up over 2.4g wifi. I get very occasional/random (once or twice a day) warnings that the camera is failing to respond to PTZ ( Error sending PTZ command for camera "23rd St. PTZ". 5.4.0,4430,800 The operation timed out. ). but if I log into the server, everything seems to be working fine. I think its easy for the communications to have an issue - especially over wifi, but possibly with wired runs too - but SS seems to be able to keep everything working regardless. I only had problems with the presets when I was using the cameras original set-up software to define them. Once I deleted all those and used SS to set them up, I’ve had no problems -