Skip to content

Account setup & Automatic Login

edited September 2019 in SecuritySpy
Hello: I'm wondering what is the best way to set up an account for Security Spy. I have SS set up on a MacMini with just one account (with the Guest account enabled). If I have a power failure, I can have the machine automatically login - but it is vulnerable. Say someone steals my computer. All they have to do is start it up and it will automatically login to my account.

I can have the screen saver launched but only at a minimum of 1 minute of inactivity - plenty of time for a thief to go through the machine and keep going through it.

I'd like the Mac to reboot and launch SS automatically without exposing it to an automatically logged-in account.

What do you suggest?

Many thanks, in advance.

Wayne

Comments

• BenBen
    edited October 2019
    Hi Wayne,

What you need to do is set up your Mac to log in, run SecuritySpy, and then go back to the login screen with SecuritySpy running in the background. This is explained in the following FAQ: Can SecuritySpy run before login on Mac OS X?. It's not perfect, but it does provide some level of protection against unauthorised access.
  • Thanks very much Ben. Before submitting my post, I did read the user manual and read the section on "Setting up SecuritySpy for autonomous operation." Can I suggest you put this good advice in that section as well.

Many thanks again for getting back to me.

Wayne
  • Hi Wayne - thanks, that's a good idea.