Skip to content

Anyone Actually Running Security Spy on a Hackintosh?

edited July 2017 in SecuritySpy
Periodically, I'm tempted to put together a higher spec Hackintosh for running Security Spy, but is anyone actually successfully doing so with good stability?

Comments

• I know this is a rather old post, but i have run SS on a Intel NUC for awhile when my MacMini needed some minor repairs. Was rock solid, so i don't see any problems with this.
  • Appreciate the info. Without any responses, I could only guess it was rare or simply nobody had done so.

How many cameras could you service with a NUC?
  • With the D54250 i could service 4x 1080p at 25FPS. If i recall correctly. Newer NUC's are much faster though.
  • Not exactly a SS question, but... Uray, were you able to just install OSX directly onto that NUC without any mods to its hardware?
  • Impressive you managed 4 on just a NUC, but after looking at the newer ones, they really do pack some muscle in a small package - 4 core I7!

I originally asked about a Hackintosh because my Security Spy dedicated iMac has developed the dreaded, spontaneous shutdown problem that plagues some late 2013 27 inch iMacs. Even replacing its power supply hasn't stabilized it and redoing the thermal paste hasn't helped. No thermal throttling, but just shuts off on its own every 2 to 8 days. After a month of frustration and troubleshooting, I've been forced to move on.

Without any word on Hackintoshes (until now), a MacPro was my next choice. Pricey, but tested a 6 core MacPro 3.5 GHz. SS used only 18% of CPU with 16 2MP cameras at 8 FPS.
    I now have an 8 core MacPro on order. Should be more than plenty of head room.

I'm sure a Hackintosh would be MUCH cheaper, but stability is a huge concern.
  • edited August 2017
    I have done a few hackintoshes in the past a Dell mini 10 and Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H with a i5 running Mountain Lion. The last one was in 2013. Its was a little harder back then but with the advent of Multibeast and UniBeast it a lot easier now. You should be able to put together a totally reliable and solid running desktop or Mini that 'For the money" will blow the doors off what Apple is offerings and it won't look like a Trash can (Mac Pro). If apple does not update the Mac Mini soon i will be building mini-ITX with a i7-7700K. Kids have taken much of the time much i had for such endeavors.
    I still keep up on it. Check out this web site if you had not already. https://www.tonymacx86.com/
    Cheers
  • If you have the Money, go with a Pro. I haven't had any Stability issues, But, updating the OS is a pita though.
  • Going with a Mac Pro, but I admit to looking at what a Hackintosh would run and seeing about $1500 in savings. Then I subtract the cost of MY build time and upgrade issues. Ends up being a wash for me, so it's still the $$$ Mac Pro.

• or look for an older 2012 Mac mini with the quad i7's they run SS very well with many cameras. about 90% of the CPU power compared with a quad core Mac Pro.
  • edited September 2017
    Yes, I have one of the quad minis working as my HTPC. Enough CPU power to let VLC do some sharpening before projection.

The SS usage here is pretty heavy. 16 cams at 10 FPS. Always at least 12 cameras displayed on screen + up to 2 to 3 web browsers viewing 5-6 cameras. When at full usage demand it's enough CPU load that a 3.5 quad I7 Haswell iMac has to blast its fans at max and has very little CPU to spare. Poor machine was running too hot due to its CPU load.

The Mac Pro does it all in stride, stays under 60 degrees CPU temp, silent and has plenty of CPU left to also run a full VLC playback without breaking a sweat. Definitely, a machine meant to handle continuous, higher CPU load.

Apple has a big hole between the mac mini and Mac Pro for compact machines with more oomph than a Quad iMac. That gaping hole is what made a Hackintosh ever so enticing. An overclocked quad i7-7700K would have just enough oomph to cover things here.
  • BTW, if you are looking for a USED Mac Pro, get one with D500 or D700 GPU's. I had a horrible time trying to get one with D300 stable. Turned out to have bad GPU's that were causing random logouts every few days. The only good clue were some GPU restarts in the system configuration logs.

The D500 and D700 GPU's can also be bad, but they are covered under an extended care program. The D300 units don't enjoy that extra coverage.

Fortunately, my bad one was within the Apple return window for new purchases. So, I could swap out the bad for a another machine.