Skip to content

iOS App not working after upgrade to 4.1.2

2»

Comments

• Hi Ben

just sent you an Email.
  • Just an update for anyone else reading this - there is a bug in SecuritySpy 4.1.2 related to encoding of special characters in the names of PTZ preset positions (i.e. accents, umlauts etc.) that prevents the web interface from working with the iOS app. It's fixed in the latest beta version of SecuritySpy (currently 4.1.3b2).
  • edited April 2017
    Even the latest beta (4.1.3b2) is causing my Zmodo ONVIF outdoor camera to constantly disconnect and reconnect to the point of it being unusable. I've never had a single problem with this camera and Security Spy since 4.1.2.

I'm currently stating at constant 'Offline' and 'Connecting' messages in the Camera Info window.

How can I revert to 4.1.1 please?

Thi is not a Mac App Store download and I don't use the iOS App. It's the server directly reporting the issue. My network configuration has not changed.

• edited April 2017
    So I figured out how to download 4.1.1 and all is find now. So 100% confidence - 4.1.2 broke the connection to my ONVIF Zmodo camera. Purely a server issue.

The latest beta, as mentioned in my previous post does NOT fix my issue.

I'm not using SSL, an App Store version, nor do I have PTZ enabled (which my camera does not support).

The camera is set to ONVIF/TCP and is connected on a local IP address.
  • Any idea the cause of this issue? I still have the same problem in the latest beta. Rolling back to 4.1.1 is all good.
  • Hi @acedout this forum discussion topic is about the iOS app - please post to relevant discussions, or create a new one if one doesn't already exist, it makes it much easier to help!

I'm not immediately sure what this issue with your camera could be. I think the best way to debug this (as we don't have any Zmodo cameras here to test with) would be if you are able put your camera online temporarily so that we can connect to it from here and do some testing - is this OK with you? To do this you will have to set up the port forwarding settings on your router to forward incoming connections to the camera on port 80, 554, and the ONVIF port (if it's not 80) and then email us your public IP address (or DDNS name, which can be set up in SecuritySpy's Web Server Setup window). Let me know if you need more information about how to set this up.
  • Hello everyone, we have just released SecuritySpy 4.1.3, which should fix all connectivity problems with our iOS app. Use the "Check for Update" option in the File menu in SecuritySpy to update, or download SecuritySpy here.
  • I appear to have both Security Spy 4.1.3, and the iOS App 1.1.1 - still can't login (https) - I get "unexpected response from the server" for LAN attempt (auto detection) and if I try over internet through port forwarded to security spy the response is "The server that responded is not SecuritySpy" - I use dyndns.org
    but if I use a web browser to the same HTTPS address & port with the same credentials I can login fine.
    I don't know if it helps or not, but after updating the Mac Security Spy app, in the Web logs, the connection attempts appear to be IPv6 which is not running internally on my network (Apple Airport Extreme) - before the update to Security Spy all connections were IPv4 addresses

(just got back from a trip for 2 weeks, glad I didn't update remotely while I was gone)
  • reverting to 4.1.1 with iOS Security Spy 1.1.1 restores the ability to connect via dyndns address (HTTPS)
  • tested again with 4.1.4, same issue, have once again reverted to 4.1.1
  • Is there a link anywhere to 4.0 or 4.1.1? Thx.
  • Here is the link to 4.1.1: download SecuritySpy 4.1.1.
  • Hi @BrianM - when using 4.1.3 or 4.1.4 try deleting and re-adding the server to the iOS app, to see if this fixes the problem.

When on the LAN, the app uses the server's Bonjour name in order to connect to it (this makes setup of your Mac much easier as you don't have to give it a static IP address). So the app will simply resolve the address and use whatever IP address is returned by the system, whether it's an IPv4 or an IPv6 address. Both should work fine. If you want to turn off IPv6 on your Mac, you can do so via the Network system preference (this may be a useful test to see if this has any impact on your problem).
  • @Ben, thanks for link. I'm happy to say that it's no longer needed as I'm now able to log into server via LAN and VPN (with iOS 1.1.1 and MacOS 4.1.4) by simply turning off "Advertise Bonjour" in MacOS app settings - thanks to your suggestion.
  • Hi @xmx - great to hear that! I'm glad we have this sorted now. For anyone else wanting to use our iOS app over a VPN please see the new instructions here: SecuritySpy iOS/tvOS App - Connecting Over a VPN.
  • Yes, I had tried removing the server from the iOS app, and setting it up as new, same issue.
  • OK, same thing here, but not using VPN. I even went back to 4.0.9, and it won't work with security spy iphone app. I get the same message from inside my local network, or outside. "The server that responded is not security spy." Currently running 4.1.4 and the latest IOS app. Definitely busted.
  • I should also note that the web interface works, as does the third party app, IPCAM viewer. Just the security Spy IOS app not working.
  • Hi @hiropro4, so that we can investigate this, please can you allow us to connect to your SecuritySpy server to test with? You can create a temporary account for us with limited access to a single camera, and email us the address and login details.

Are you running some sort of proxy, or is there direct access to SecuritySpy?
  • If the other person can't make this happen for testing, let me know and I can.
  • After updating to 4.1.6 the SecuritySpy iOS app still wasn't connecting for me - but Spyglass was... so I double-checked the web settings - everything was still good - https and all that. So from the same iPhone I run Security Spy on, I accessed the web interface for SecuritySpy which worked great. I then went back to SecuritySpy iOS app and it works now as well. Maybe a cert thing that until Safari accessed the web interface things weren't working? Not sure.
This discussion has been closed.