Skip to content

Error 22185,-8969

edited August 2016 in SecuritySpy
Hi Ben, I installed the new version on my remote Mac in the hangar (just to monitor 3 cameras). Every minute or so, the window on one (random) goes black and I get 8969 error.
Here is the log messages:

Error from camera "Network camera 3", it will be closed. (Failed to decompress incoming video frame 22185,-8969 Image data decompression failed - bad data)

Error from camera "Network camera 2", it will be closed. (Failed to decompress incoming video frame 22185,-8969 Image data decompression failed - bad data)

Error from camera "Network camera 2", it will be closed. (Failed to decompress incoming video frame 22185,-8969 Image data decompression failed - bad data)

Error from camera "Front Door Camera 2", it will be closed. (Failed to decompress incoming video frame 22185,-8969 Image data decompression failed - bad data)

Any Idea what is wrong? It does not happen on the main Mac.
Thanks
Bulent

Comments

• Hi Bulent,

This indicates that SecuritySpy is frequently receiving bad video data that cannot be decompressed.

Could you describe your network setup: is the Mac connected by WiFi or wired ethernet (this problem often occurs on WiFi with poor signal strength)? How are the cameras connected? Is this Mac receiving video directly from the cameras, or from another copy of SecuritySpy? Are you using the latest version of SecuritySpy?
  • This is happening on my remote iMac in the hangar behind the house, away from my main Mac. It is a wired LAN connection. Both mac's have the latest version SS, the second one only monitors the cameras. Cameras are also hard wired. The house iMac does not have this problem. I wander if my ethernet switch does not have the capacity? It is 10/100 MB desktop switch.
    Updated the software and no change? Will by a better switch?
  • Does the remote iMac connect to the cameras directly, or does it connect to the house iMac in order to receive the streams? If they are both connecting to the cameras, but one Mac works fine whereas the other Mac gives errors, it could indeed be a network issue, in which case a faster switch may help.
  • edited September 2016
    Hi Bulent,

Not really an exact match to your situation, since your errors are only happening on a second computer....

I've been having the same error messages with one of my Dahua (HFW4300S) cameras which was only a 18 months old. The error happen several times a day, often related to motion in the picture. I tried everything-new ethernet cable and connectors, new POE injector, changed settings in the camera to lower frame rate, new router switch. Nothing got rid of the error messages.

I finally broke down and I just replaced the camera with a new SavyPixel 1320 (made by Dahua) from Amazon ($75!). Voila...no more error messages. While the older Dahua had reasonably good image quality, the new camera's video suggests that my old Dahua was having a subtle deterioration of quality which I hadn't noticed.

So, maybe your camera is the cause of these errors.

It could also be that your ethernet wire run is too long. The total distance may be too long for the second computer. Perhaps changing from Cat 5/Cat5e to Cat6 might help?

• Hi @Bulent and @weathergy,
    Ben has been helping me resolve this as I too have been getting the infamous error:

"Failed to decompress incoming video frame 22185,-8969 Image data decompression failed - bad data)"

Like @weatherguy I too "tried everything-new ethernet cable and connectors, new POE injector, changed settings in the camera to lower frame rate, new router switch. Nothing is getting rid of the occasional error messages."

caveat: My ethernet cable is cat6 and already "new" and runs relatively short, under 100'. I went from PoE injectors to a new Dlink business class [DGS1210]
    [ http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dgs-1210-series-gigabit-smart-switches ]
    PoE capable switch.

The most recent instance of this error came from my newest most expensive camera, an Axis 1427.

I continue to be baffled. I run a mac tower Quad core 3,1 Intel Xeon with 20GB of RAM.

I do notice that in Activity monitor the VTDecoderXPCService shows CPU usage at 78.6%. If i shut that down, I lose video [and -8989 comes up in the Axis and YCam quad split preview window, but interestingly not on my DLink DCS2230L. The DLink cam i believe is powered by its own DC wall wart.] and that also induces the Error pop up:

"Error from camera "Axis 1427", it will be closed. (Failed to decompress incoming video frame 22185,-8969 Image data decompression failed - bad data)

Error from camera "YCAM_FR1", it will be closed. (Failed to decompress incoming video frame 22185,-8969 Image data decompression failed - bad data)"

window in Security Spy.

Now I am running BOINC [grid computing] as a screensaver but it's set to "Suspend when computer is in use" and "suspend when on battery". [not sure why activity monitor would show those BOINC process as having CPU activity [SETI at 67%, Rosetta at 78%] while I'm using the computer here now, so that might be a clue]. I'm going to triple check those settings to make sure they are indeed suspending properly.
  • Same error on multiple cameras. Changed cables multiple times.