Skip to content

SS not deleting older recordings?

edited March 2021 in SecuritySpy
Ben,

Getting a few of these. I am recording to an external 2TB SSD drive on my M1 mini. Same thing happened with internal drive (switched to external as I thought the issue was with the system drive, but not it’s happening on this one as well).

Seems SS is not purging the oldest recordings once it reaches the space/time threshold, correct?

Error creating captured file for camera "132-Front Parking South". 5.3.2,11430,50700,28 Failed to finish recording. No space left on device.
Error performing motion capture for camera "132-Front Parking South", motion capture mode will now be disarmed. 5.3.2,1554,28 Failed to record video frame. No space left on device.
Error creating captured file for camera "105-Main Entrance". 5.3.2,11430,50700,28 Failed to finish recording. No space left on device.
Error performing motion capture for camera "105-Main Entrance", motion capture mode will now be disarmed. 5.3.2,1554,28 Failed to record video frame. No space left on device.
Non-fatal error while capturing file "/Volumes/T7 - Capture Backup/105-Main Entrance/2021-03-17/03-17-2021 12-55-46 M 105-Main Entrance.m4v". 5.3.2,11460,640 “03-17-2021 12-55-46 M 105-Main Entrance.unf” couldn’t be moved to “2021-03-17” because there isn’t enough space. The volume “T7 - Capture Backup” is out of space.
Error creating captured file.

There are more (one for ea. of the 31 cameras).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Comments

• This is certainly a drive space issue, and if you have set SecuritySpy to delete old recordings to leave free space, then there could be a problem with this. The first thing to do is to download and install the latest beta version of SecuritySpy (currently 5.3.3b7), as this has some tweaks related to old file deletion. Give it 10 minutes of so to clear out old files, and then see if you continue to get errors after that.

If that doesn't fix it, then please email us and include SecuritySpy's debug file (SecuritySpy menu > Debug > Create Debug File On Desktop) as well as the whole log file (File menu in SecuritySpy > Open Log), and we will investigate this for you to find out what's going wrong.
  • Ben,

I think it may have been an issue with not deleting files fast enough. I increased the free size from 1 GB to 15 GB on the 2TB ext drive to have a larger margin and give SS a chance to catch up, and I stopped getting errors. If this happens again I’ll install the beta.

Thanks!
  • That sounds like it could very well be the problem - 1 GB is probably not a big enough buffer. I hope it continues to work with the new setting, let me know if you see any further problems with this.
  • Will do. Thanks!!