Skip to content

Mac Mini M1

2»

Comments

• That should be the correct download link. To check if you have the correct version, if you Get Info on the script in the Finder, you should see that it is 291 bytes in size - is this what you see?

If you go to the Apple menu, do you see the option to "Lock Screen" available, and can you confirm that it shows the default keyboard shortcut of ⌃⌘Q?
  • Yes, 291 bytes and shortcut to lock the screen is the same.
  • @Neurobit - strange, I'm not sure why this didn't work.

We have done more work on this, and now switched to a standalone utility app called Lock Screen to do the locking, rather than a shell script. This gives us more flexibility over implementation, and avoids the need for the ugly Terminal window. New info can be found in the FAQ Can SecuritySpy run behind the lock/login screen?

Please report back and let me know if this now works correctly for you.
  • Thanks Ben! You guys are awesome!
    I’ll give this a try tonight and post back.

Cheers,
  • Update: after some more testing, this only seems to work if there is actually a keyboard attached to the Mac. This is because the tool achieves screen lock using the ⌃⌘Q keystroke, and it seems that under Big Sur, all keyboard shortcuts are disabled if there is no keyboard attached!

A workaround is to enable the Accessibility keyboard is turned on (System Preferences > Accessibility > Accessibility Keyboard). We're hoping to update the tool to avoid the need for this workaround. Stay tuned...
  • Thanks again. I’m currently traveling so hot able to test this yet.
    Assuming that this behavior is for both the terminal window and the Lock Screen app, correct?
  • (yes, I’m running the mini headless btw).
  • Update 2: I think we now have overcome this limitation. Please download a fresh copy of the Lock Screen applet via the link in the FAQ (Can SecuritySpy run behind the lock/login screen? - if you Get Info on the Lock Screen applet in the Finder you should see that it is version 1.0.1).

Please report back once you've had a chance to test.
  • Genius!!! Works great!
    Thank you!
  • Great! Thanks for your help with this.
  • You bet. And thanks for the prompt resolution!