Skip to content

iOS: Spyglass app vs. RemotePatrol app - offline cameras

edited September 2014 in SecuritySpy
Both Spyglass and RemotePatrol are excellent iOS apps for remotely monitoring a SecuritySpy installation and having access to captured files (recorded footage).

However, there's one major difference I noticed tonight during an outage of a Foscam of mine at a remote site: if a camera is offline to SecuritySpy (but SS itself is still functioning), you can still view previously captured files for that camera in RemotePatrol but not in Spyglass.

In RP, when you click on a white blank camera screen, you can get to the page with the magnifying glass on the lower right. Tap that to access previously captured files.

In Spyglass, if a camera is offline, you'll see a blank white box with the blue broken link on your camera overview page. That white box is not tappable to see your previously captured files like you do from a camera that's currently online.

I don't have MD set up on that particular camera (it's a camera across town on a different network; SS only grabs one frame every 2 seconds to reduce bandwidth). I'd need to see if someone was in the field of view of the camera right before it went down. You couldn't in Spyglass until the camera came back up.

Comments

• Hi Turbo, thanks for this interesting observation, I have communicated this to the developers of Spyglass, hopefully they will add this functionality.
  • Unfortunately RemotePatrol hasn't been updated in ages...and it shows. I use IP Camera Pro to remotely view my camera feeds, then I use Remote Patrol to view the recorded data, which it doesn't do very well..the feed is quite choppy. I wish there was a SecuritySpy app written by Ben...
  • Unfortunately, playback of recorded footage is at the mercy of the available bandwidth to the server and the settings the recorded footage is recorded with. Try using Safari for iPhone and playback the same footage and I believe you will see a similar quality.
  • edited December 2014
    "Unfortunately, playback of recorded footage is at the mercy of the available bandwidth to the server and the settings the recorded footage is recorded with. Try using Safari for iPhone and playback the same footage and I believe you will see a similar quality."
    You advise using Safari for iphone and what would you recommend for Android? Thanks in advance.
  • Hi JanMeier, there are a few Android apps for SecuritySpy that will display the live video and audio. However, as far as I know, there is no way to play the QuickTime Movie files produced by SecuritySpy on the Android platform.
  • Just tried both.
    Spyglass trial version (one server only, no sound, nos PTZ)
    and Remote Patrol.
    The former seems faster, with a much more pleasant and efficient GUI !
    I regret spending 10€ on the latter, whose sound option doesn't work...